• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Warm up or Start up and Go?

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I've startup and go with my 2015 GT that I had for nearly 10 years and never had 1 issue with the engine the entire time I've owned it.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I've seen many different lists of conditions for Ford vehicles that dictate when you should observe the 'severe duty' maintenance schedule, but I don't recall one that includes not letting your vehicle idle (warm up) as a condition. If the Mustang is any different than F-Series, I sure would like to see it. But here's what I got:

Severe Driving Conditions include one or more of the following:
1) Short trips of less than 10 miles (16km) when outside temperatures remain below freezing;
2) Towing a trailer; using a camper, roof-top carrier, or carrying maximum loads;
3) Operating in severe dust conditions
4) Operating during hot weather in stop-and-go "rush hour" traffic;
5) Extensive idling, such as police, taxi, or door-to-door delivery use;
6) Snow plowing
7) High speed operation with a fully-loaded vehicle (max. GVW);
Even a taxi waits until you get in …

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
The oil will circulate all the necessary areas in a couple seconds at most. Even then you have check-valves throughout systems that don't let the oil drain down. Everything is getting lubricated from the start. When you're running, you can go. Some like waiting until after cold/high idle which can have it's merits in less wear on the drive train and the transmission. Albeit very minimal. Waiting to go isn't going to kill anything either other than a bit of fuel.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Even a taxi waits until you get in …
But unlike most POVs, they spend a significant amount of time idling, which is precisely why they are considered severe duty.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I start and go but I don't drive it hard until my cylinder head temps stabilize. This car seems to stabilize at 188.

rrbrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I noticed my car runs much smoother when i let it warm up until it idles as low as it gets.

When am in a rush and i only wait 30 sec to a minute, i notice its significantly more jerky… which i don’t like.

If you’re not in a rush, I suggest you let it take the time it needs to lubricate all parts.
Yup, when I cold start my car it idles at 1200 rpm and then drops to 1000 rpm for around 30 seconds. I won't drive away until it reaches 800 idle rpm specifically because if you try to use the clutch while the idle is that high it's super jerky and awkward. This probably doesn't matter if you have an automatic car.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Yup, when I cold start my car it idles at 1200 rpm and then drops to 1000 rpm for around 30 seconds. I won't drive away until it reaches 800 idle rpm specifically because if you try to use the clutch while the idle is that high it's super jerky and awkward. This probably doesn't matter if you have an automatic car.
Yeah it is smooth with the auto

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Just start up and go. Just take it easy when cold.

You are all lucky. Us 350 owners have rules to follow when car is cold. We can’t exceed certain RPMs until oil temperatures hit certain levels…

And with all the coolers it take forever to get up to temps … you have to be really careful. Sometimes it takes 6 or 7 minutes

Reactions: Zig

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
And with all the coolers it take forever to get up to temps … you have to be really careful. Sometimes it takes 6 or 7 minutes
So at least two beers, eh? :cwl:

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Just start up and go. Just take it easy when cold.

You are all lucky. Us 350 owners have rules to follow when car is cold. We can’t exceed certain RPMs until oil temperatures hit certain levels…

That sounds miserable, I'm sorry

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
That sounds miserable, I'm sorry
I have a love hate relationship with my car lol

All the rules… the extreme tram lining… I could NEVER daily drive it… it’s a pain in traffic… not that impressive in city… but on just the right road it’s magic …

At some point I may go for the old man Corvette that is easy to drive. I just don’t like New Balance shoes lol always watching what future models Ford may launch for the S650 too..

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I have a love hate relationship with my car lol

All the rules… the extreme tram lining… I could NEVER daily drive it… it’s a pain in traffic… not that impressive in city… but on just the right road it’s magic …

At some point I may go for the old man Corvette that is easy to drive. I just don’t like New Balance shoes lol always watching what future models Ford may launch for the S650 too..
It's a beautiful car, had no idea it was that finicky. Reminds me of when Mazda brought the rotary engine back and had to jump through hoops before you could drive.

I'm 50, made it a personal mission to never own a pair of NB's ever. I'll tattoo that on my chest if I lose the ability to communicate

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
5W or 0W doesn't need any warmup time to put it in drive. Some ridiculousness going on.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
But unlike most POVs, they spend a significant amount of time idling, which is precisely why they are considered severe duty.
Was going more for the numerous stops and starts not idle. Any (wink wink) conscientious individual would know they need to stop their engine while ‘standing’. The ‘severe use category’ is in reference to simply starting the car, driving 10 - 15 minutes (or less), shutting it off, letting it sit, starting and immediately driving away, and then stop (rinse and repeat).
The question was is the op wasting time, i put forward a scenario and asked if had anything better to do than to take a moment instead of just grab and go.
Sponsored