• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tremec TR-3160

nashbridges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Does anyone know the max torque and horsepower rating for the TR-3160 in the Dark Horse? I can’t seem to find a concrete answer anywhere. Planning on installing a whipple in the future and just wanna make sure it’ll last a long time without issues. Also do you guys plan on running the Mercon LV ATF fluid as described in the manual or a high quality manual transmission fluid?
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
It's around 430lb-ft which was coincidentally the rating of the GT350 that it was previously in.

Now, that doesn't mean the second you make more than that it will blow up. Plenty of people are running around with supercharged engines and MT-82's, and before that had supercharged engines with TR3650's (the old five speed).

A lot of them break, a lot live for a while, depends on how it's driven, what kind of tires/surfaces the car is on...

Also remember that nobody else sticks that thing behind a V8. Chevrolet puts it behind the V6, and like Dodge they use the TR6060 for the V8's (which is also what Ford used in the S197 GT500's...)

Last edited:
OP
OP

nashbridges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
It's around 430lb-ft which was coincidentally the rating of the GT350 that it was previously in.

ow, that doesn't mean the second you make more than that it will blow up. Plenty of people are running around with supercharged engines and MT-82's, and before that had supercharged engines with TR3650's (the old five speed).

A lot of them break, a lot live for a while, depends on how it's driven, what kind of tires/surfaces the car is on...

Also remember that nobody else sticks that thing behind a V8. Chevrolet puts it behind the V6, and like Dodge they use the TR6060 for the V8's (which is also what Ford used in the S197 GT500's...)
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Has me curious why Ford didn’t go with the 6060 for gt350/mach1/DH. Surely it’s not that big of a price difference.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Has me curious why Ford didn’t go with the 6060 for gt350/mach1/DH. Surely it’s not that big of a price difference.
Lighter, better ratios for the high RPM. Also from what I've read this 3160 has been upgraded in some key areas for the Mustangs. Also torque ratings are all done with a baseline 6000lb vehicle, so with a lighter vehicle these transmitions are not at capacity in stock form.

Last edited:
OP
OP

nashbridges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Lighter, better ratios for the high RPM. Also from what I've read this 3160 has been upgraded in some key areas for the Mustangs. Also torque ratings are all done with a baseline 6000lb vehicle, so with a lighter vehicle these transmitions are not at capacity in stock form.
Oh okay. Seemed weird they’d put a tranny with a torque rating barely over the output of the engine but that makes sense.
Sponsored