• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Normal or Premium Gas

What gas?

• Total voters

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
without opening the can of worms…..

I try to find a Top tier station and then decide upon octane. It will run on 87 without destroying itself (says so right there in the manual), it’s computer controlled for a reason.

for best performance use min of 91 but a tank or two here and there ain’t gonna hurt anything. I’d be more worried about getting a tank of water than the daily driving impacts of 87 vs 91.
Sponsored

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Petro-Canada has 94 Octan. Price per litre is pretty high. If you can’t afford the best fuel for your stang , then personaly Dont by one.
We'll keep that in mind if we're ever in Canada... :wink:

OP
OP

Adeel3466

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT NP/PP
Just filled up for the first time at Costco $4.14 a gallon for 93 hopefully gas prices go down soon lol

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
yes yes yes…. The 87 octane can not handle the compression. It ignites BEFORE the piston hits TDC on compression…we call this “hammering the bearings “
The premature ignition is pushing the piston down BEFORE top of the stoke…
87… 93 for that matter is hard on your rod bearings.
E85 ASAP.. for safety longevity
That isn't quite true. Old point and condenser ignition systems needed to be set each time their were service. You normally did it with a timing light and set it somewhere between 6 and 12 degrees before top center. More RPMs would advance the timing as it took longer for the burn to propagate through the fuel charge. It starts burning once there is a spark but the timing moves delay so the bulk of the burn after top dead center.
Somebody with a good ear could set the timing by ear but most needed a timing light to ensure the spark didn't occur to early or late. The burn can start 20 or more degrees before top dead center without causing harm as long as it remains small.
My 96 as well as newer engines have knock sensor that detect knocks giving the computer the information needed to adjust the timing. Basically it's adjusting by ear in real time.
Diesel engines will knock however they have much larger bearings that can withstand the knock for years. They don't do that with Gas engines because it would add excessive mass to the crank, connecting rods and pistons that would limit performance.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Wanted to know what you all put in your Mustang GTs. I looked up the s550 owners manual and it said that it is designed for 87 but for optimal performance to use 91. Is it better to just go 91 all the time or maybe just use 91 when going to a track or doing other performance tests? What are the pros and cons of each? I have a GT performance pack on order.
We read premium for GTs