• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
My quest to find the best wheel cleaning brushes and tools really took off when I had to contend with the nightmare-to-clean Mustang Performance Pack wheels. As such, I have a large drawer full of different brushes and wheel cleaning specific tools, allowing me to tailor my approach to a variety of different wheel designs.

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-4854-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning may1924-

Some wheels have plenty of space to gain access to the inner barrel, others offer limited clearance due to the spoke design and/or brake system. Gloss black wheels show wash-induced swirls more than silver, meaning a softer brush is desirable. Some wheels have specific shapes that need special treatment to get or keep clean. For example, these Volvo wheels look seemingly easy to deal with, however, they have a rather strange secondary ledge that runs behind the back of the wheel face, making it very hard to clean around.

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-9377-

The following are the tools I think you need in your arsenal, no matter what wheel you are attempting to clean.

EZ-Detail GO –

I term this item the “Toilet Brush”, probably not what EZ-Detail had in mind. Truth be told, I don’t really use this to clean wheels, although you can on open spoke designs. However, I have found this to be the best brush for cleaning wheel arches. Having tried various other options, I find the GO to be the most ergonomic and effective at cleaning plastic, and even fabric, wheel arch liners.

EZ Detail Go EZ Speed Master Wheel Brush (autobuff.com.au)
EZ Brushes | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-4229-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-4227-

EZ-Detail Brush –

Available in small and large, I think you want both, even if not used on wheels. These brushes are ideal for wheels with limited access to the inner barrel, be that from narrow openings or large brake rotors and calipers. Having tried a couple of different brushes like this, paying extra for the EZ-Detail versions is the way to go, offering superior quality and a softer feel.

These brushes have nylon bristle, meaning they are not the softest option. This may or may not bother you, from my perspective I see these brushes as a necessary evil. I would rather have some minor marring on the barrels rather than allowing brake dust and road grime to accumulate. I also find these brushes excellent for cleaning exhaust tips and getting access to tight spots in an engine bay.

EZ Detail little EZ Speed Master Wheel Brush (autobuff.com.au)
EZ Detail BIG EZ Speed Master Wheel Brush (autobuff.com.au)
EZ Brushes | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0259-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0260-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0257-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-4034-

Microfiber Wheel Brush -

This style of brush replaced traditional Wheel Woolies in my routine. Over time, I noticed that the wool/synthetic wool wheel brushes become quite “crunchy” and lacking in softness. A microfiber version remains soft while offering superior longevity and the ability to release contamination easier.

My choices here would be the Microfiber Madness IncrediBrush Flat and the Detail Factory Wheel Brush. Both are a flat brush, meaning they will fit most wheel designs and brake systems. In both cases, the microfiber sock can be replaced or removed for cleaning. Yes, both are expensive, but that is balanced by the superb quality and excellent longevity. My IncrediBrush is over 2 years old now and still as soft as when I took it out of the box.

Microfiber Madness Incredibrush FLAT – Prime Finish Car Care
Detail Factory Wheel Brush Kit with Scrubbing Microfibre Cover (detailingshed.com.au)

Microfiber Madness Incredibrush Flat - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)
Detail Factory - Wheel Brush Kit | The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-9555-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-9558-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0199-

Microfiber Wash Mitt –

I hate wash mitts, be that for wheels or paint. However, a smaller finger mitt is ideal for cleaning the wheel face and behind the spokes. I find these offer superior ergonomics compared to a larger wash pad or mitt.

Maxshine and The Rag Company offer suitable options here, at the moment I’m favoring the TRC version.

Maxshine Microfiber Finger Wheel and Rims Wash Mitt (2x Pack) (detailingshed.com.au)
The Rag Company Cyclone Ultra Wheel Mitt 15 x 18cm (2pck) (detailingshed.com.au)

Cyclone Ultra Wheel Mitt | The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-4670-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-7825-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-7827-

Synthetic or Boar’s Hair Brush –

These brushes are typically used to clean around the lug nuts, calipers and wheel face. For well-maintained or black wheels, the softer synthetic brush is what you need. For neglected wheels, you will need the extra “bite” offered by the boar's hair bristle.

Again, there are countless options here. Personally, I can’t go past the Detail Factory versions in long handle spec. Carpro’s brush pack is worth looking at too.

Detail Factory Ultra-Soft Detailing Brush Long Handle 24cm (detailingshed.com.au)
DETAIL FACTORY PREMIUM BOAR'S HAIR DETAILING BRUSHES Long Handle (Grey (detailingshed.com.au)
CarPro Detailing Brush Set | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

Detail Factory - Ultra-Soft Detailing Brushes | The Rag Company
Detail Factory - Boar Hair Detailing Brushes | The Rag Company
CARPRO Detailing Brush Set (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-7692-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0206-

Tire Cleaning Brush –

These brushes typically feature a stiff bristle, allowing for a deeper and more thorough cleaning. However, Detail Factory went in the opposite direction by offering a slightly softer bristle, allowing the brush to better conform to the tire without compromising its ability. The DF Tire Brush is arguably one of my favorite detailing tools!

Detail Factory Tyre Cleaning Brush (detailingshed.com.au)

Detail Factory - Tire Scrub Brush | The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-4642-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-8875-

Dedicated Wheel Bucket –

Seemingly overkill, however having a separate bucket for wheels will eliminate possible contamination with the tools used on the rest of the car. I typically use this bucket filled with water and soap, but in some cases I simply use the bucket to carry my tools around the car, using the pressure washer to rinse the tools as I go.

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-1387-

Dedicated Wheel Towel –

In this case, I love the TRC Gauntlet 30x30, ideally sized for the task. The TRC Spectrum is also worth looking at.

The Rag Company - The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel (detailingshed.com.au)

The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning feb21164-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning feb21165-

Luxury Items –

Bucket Dolly and Detailing Seat –

A luxury I think you need. In both cases, this allows you to move from wheel to wheel with ease, meaning you don’t need to crouch (I have bad knees) or cart the bucket around. I used to hate cleaning wheels, however, doing so while seated is one of the pure joys of detailing. In my case.

Shop PROFESSIONAL BUCKET DOLLY Online - CarCareCo
Economax Detailing Creeper Seat Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

Search Results (autogeek.net)
Compact Sit-On Creeper II - Griot's Garage (griotsgarage.com)

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0761-

Foam Cannon or Foam Sprayer –

Either helps deliver soap or wheel cleaner in a format that allows for a longer dwell/working period. I’m doing this with either P&S Brake Buster or car soap.

MTM Foam Cannon Kit with NV Snow 1L – Waxit Car Care
IK Foam Pro 2+ Spray with Air Valve (detailingshed.com.au)

MTM Hydro - PF22.2 Foam Cannon Kit | The Rag Company
iK Foam Pro 2+ Sprayer | The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning may196-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-3401-

Foam Cannon Bucket Bracket –

A simple extravagance, this item allows you to bring your foam cannon along for the ride.

Maxshine Foam Cannon Bucket Holder Mount (detailingshed.com.au)
MTM Veloci Ventuno Bracket - Spray Foam Gun Holder (detailingshed.com.au)

Veloci Ventuno Bracket - MTM Hydro (mtmhydroparts.com)

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0763-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning img-0766-

Hose Guides -

A simple solution to a frustrating problem, these things prevent your hose from snagging under/around the tyres.

DETAIL GUARDZ HOSE GUIDE (2PK) Made in Canada (detailingshed.com.au)

Detail Guardz - Car Wash Insert (4 pack) - The Detail Guardz – Detail Guardz | Premium Car Care Products USA

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning g2-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning g3-

S650 Mustang Must Have Tools for Wheel & Tire Cleaning oct279-

Happy Wheel Cleaning!
Sponsored