• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Modifications

PresentNotPast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Hey all! I have never really made a car my own as in customizations like wheels, exhaust, exterior, interior etc, how bad does it really effect the resell/trade in value of the car when it’s time to get rid of it?
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Depends. Some cosmetic stuff you just peel off and buff away. Other stuff new sheet metal not so much. Always keep your original parts (when practical). But yes, too much bling will have a tendency to lower the offering. For the most part it’s the effort and cost associated with restoring back to stock ( if possible). Little mods like tinted windows not so much of an issue as let’s say new rear gears or even lowering springs those become a targeted market and slightly more difficult to sell to another that isn’t already aware of the benefits of the ‘enhancement’.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
when it’s time to get rid of it?
Ouch. I mean...Ouch. :crying: A little love, eh? :inlove:. :giggle:. I can appreciate moving on to another vehicle though. Some like to experience as many as possible, and trade their cars accordingly.

Original, un-modified cars are easiest to sell and often bring the best price. I can give you four different levels of mods and my impression how they'll affect the value. I won't bother with percentages or prices, because I can't predict the future better than anyone else.

Level zero. You've made no changes whatsoever and documented the car heavily. You've taken good care of the car. Buyers will naturally gravitate towards you. There's a band from low to high market prices. You sell near the upper end.

Level one. Wheels, some interior accents that might become dated in a few years. Some personal touches elsewhere. You saved the original rims and the accents can be removed. You can return to stock quickly* and sell the car easily. No hit. Sell at market.

Level two. Mods above have been done. You've also completed a resonator delete, h-pipe or x-pipe and changed the exhaust from that point to the tail. It's loud. Brutish. You like it. Your neighbors and the salesperson don't. You're gonna take a moderate hit, as they might have to change it all back. Perceptions of one driving the car hard, affirmed or not, will also impact the price.

Level three. Mods from level one and two have been accomplished. You've also installed a supercharger or turbocharger. The car hauls. You love it. But anyone looking at it will believe nothing other than those mods and you're perceived driving habits have significantly reduced the service live of the vehicle. The warranty on the car has long been voided**. Removing any of the mods beforehand might be impossible. Even so, there will be tells something has been done, but we don't know what. You're going to take a significant hit. Because of this, most people operating at this level intend on keeping the car until end-of-life, or, are well-off enough to sell at a loss and move on to their next project.

YMMV.

*Keeping and re-installing the original rims might entail new tires. You might not recover the price of the tires, but new treads would facilitate a sale at a better price. Cost-vs-recovery: I feel it'd be a wash. You'll break even.

**I am aware of the factory, dealer-installed Whipple programs, and yes, this option might be best for anyone intending to sell a modded cat 🐱 [car] :giggle: at best price in the future. Recommend discussing the topic with dealers who can accomplish and current owners beforehand.
Sponsored

Last edited: