• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Gauge Cluster Screen Going Dark While Driving

Forde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Over the last week or so, while driving, my gauge cluster has randomly gone completely black, for up to 5-10 seconds at a time. It has been quite cold where I'm at, but this is after driving for some time when the overall car is warm. This morning it even threw a "service car soon" wrench up, but no error code appeared in the car or in the FordPass app, and it went away on next startup of the car.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've seen some of the infotainment screens going dark, but not the gauge cluster.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Over the last week or so, while driving, my gauge cluster has randomly gone completely black, for up to 5-10 seconds at a time. It has been quite cold where I'm at, but this is after driving for some time when the overall car is warm. This morning it even threw a "service car soon" wrench up, but no error code appeared in the car or in the FordPass app, and it went away on next startup of the car.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've seen some of the infotainment screens going dark, but not the gauge cluster.
Hello! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this infotainment screen concern? Thank you!

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I haven't seen the problem but I have a couple of questions. When the screen returns, does it go through the startup sequence? If it does, the computer is getting reset.
If not, it's possible you have a flaky connections somewhere.
The answer to those questions will help pin down where the problem is located.

OP
OP

Forde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I haven't seen the problem but I have a couple of questions. When the screen returns, does it go through the startup sequence? If it does, the computer is getting reset.
If not, it's possible you have a flaky connections somewhere.
The answer to those questions will help pin down where the problem is located.
It doesn't go through the startup sequence. It just flakes in and out. It basically resumes functioning once the screen turns back on.

friscoaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Rogue, Cruze, '54 F-100, 24 Mustang DH
It doesn't go through the startup sequence. It just flakes in and out. It basically resumes functioning once the screen turns back on.
Think I may have had a blink out, was quick but think it happened will post if it happens again. I’m normally on CarPlay if that turns out to be a factor.

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
I haven’t experienced the guage cluster going blank. But every time I’m playing music with CarPlay and push the Mustang button, the audio system makes a buzzing noise and wigs out for about one second. I’ll probably bring it up at my first oil change. Anyone else had that happen? CarPlay seems to have some programming issues.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
I haven’t experienced the guage cluster going blank. But every time I’m playing music with CarPlay and push the Mustang button, the audio system makes a buzzing noise and wigs out for about one second. I’ll probably bring it up at my first oil change. Anyone else had that happen? CarPlay seems to have some programming issues.
Good morning! I would be glad to help you out with this Carplay/audio system noise concern if you are still in need of assistance. Just shoot us a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Good morning! I would be glad to help you out with this Carplay/audio system noise concern if you are still in need of assistance. Just shoot us a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!
I’m definitely not the only person having the issue. It sounds like every s650 audio system may have this software bug in it.
https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/audio-distortion-when-changing-climate-settings.159953/

OP
OP

Forde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
So I have an interesting observation on this. This has only occured when I am on the detailed information page of the screen, where it shows cylinder head temp, oil temp, etc. I have driven for 30 minutes at a time with it on the "trip" screen and it has not done this.

OP
OP

Forde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
So I have an interesting observation on this. This has only occured when I am on the detailed information page of the screen, where it shows cylinder head temp, oil temp, etc. I have driven for 30 minutes at a time with it on the "trip" screen and it has not done this.
Quoting myself that this is no longer accurate.

While driving today the screen flickered while on the "trip 1" screen.

Strangely this happened in the same geographic location as another time it went out. This has happened almost a dozen times at this point.

I took it to a new dealer and they mentioned a TSB was looking at an adjacent issue. I have a follow up with them, but this appears to still be an issue. It seems to be unknown if it is electrical, software, or a physical issue still.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Strangely this happened in the same geographic location as another time it went out. This has happened almost a dozen times at this point.
Could be haunted or a forgotten indian burial ground. As for a more logical reason, you might see if it's a weak cell phone area or if there are high tension power lines in the area. In some areas they are buried but if it's in the open country they will be above ground.
There have been problems in the past were power lines have affected auto system and done things like cause the engine to run at full power but I haven't heard of anything like that recently.
You might also check for high power radio transmitters. There was a 50,000 watt clear channel transmitter I would drive by in California that would wipe out an old tube radio in my car when I drove by it. Newer radios didn't have that problem.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT , 2023 Ford Raptor
I have experienced a dark screen at start up and the screen has shown my iphone play list and song but fm radio plays through speakers

OP
OP

Forde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Could be haunted or a forgotten indian burial ground. As for a more logical reason, you might see if it's a weak cell phone area or if there are high tension power lines in the area. In some areas they are buried but if it's in the open country they will be above ground.
There have been problems in the past were power lines have affected auto system and done things like cause the engine to run at full power but I haven't heard of anything like that recently.
You might also check for high power radio transmitters. There was a 50,000 watt clear channel transmitter I would drive by in California that would wipe out an old tube radio in my car when I drove by it. Newer radios didn't have that problem.

At this point I'm starting to think that.

Nonetheless, its only occurred in one location twice. Really at a loss outside of taking it back to the dealership. I personally can't tell if its a software issue or a hardware issue on this. The way it goes out is the exact same every time - black, flicker on for .5 sec, black again, fully back to normal.

A $60k car shouldn't be doing this. Love the car, just really need this fixed.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
I have experienced a dark screen at start up and the screen has shown my iphone play list and song but fm radio plays through speakers
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored