• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ecoboost Tuning

DailyDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
I have read several times that the Ecoboost will be "locked" and unable to flash with a tuner like SCT or COBB.

I don't understand why this generation of Mustang Ecoboost would be different than the last Ecoboost generation. Also, the 2.3 engine is available in the Bronco (I also have) and you can pick up +30hp with the Ford performance B23 tune.

So is it more likely that Ford will reserve the ability to only tune the Mustang with thier own kit? Or will independent tuners be able to unlock it, eventually?
Sponsored

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang HPP
The difference is not in the engine, but it has to do with SYNC 4. The new system is OTA based and has a lot of security due to that vs. the previous generation. Tuners will eventually be able to access it, but it will take time to do it safely without messing up the entire system.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I have read several times that the Ecoboost will be "locked" and unable to flash with a tuner like SCT or COBB.

I don't understand why this generation of Mustang Ecoboost would be different than the last Ecoboost generation. Also, the 2.3 engine is available in the Bronco (I also have) and you can pick up +30hp with the Ford performance B23 tune.

So is it more likely that Ford will reserve the ability to only tune the Mustang with thier own kit? Or will independent tuners be able to unlock it, eventually?
I'll be the first to warn you it's best to leave an Ecoboost alone and enjoy it as nature (ford)intended.

I think the Ecoboost is the very reason that Ford is locking the ECUs. Ecoboost engines were getting a bad reputation for popping left and right. Then you have hundreds of people who were SOL on warranty trying to argue with the dealers that their aftermarket tuner wasn't the problem

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang HPP
Yes Ecoboost has a reputation for blowing up because owners boost the car without the necessary support. But that's not the reason Ford is locking the ECUs. Again, it has to do with SYNC 4. F-150s are the same, Bronco's are the same, this will be no different.

OP
OP
DailyDriver

DailyDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
I know several people that have done mild tunes with thier Ecoboost and not had any issues, key word being "mild" . I'm not looking for an extra 100hp, just the ability to take advantage of aftermarket stuff like a better exhaust and a intake.

My car will be my daily so I'm going to be conservative with anything I do to it, it would be nice to even have a low key better MPG setting and a fun weekend performance setting.

Again, it has to do with SYNC 4. F-150s are the same, Bronco's are the same, this will be no different.
So that does give some hope that there will be a Ford "approved" way to tune the Mustang , like the Bronco Pro-cal: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-B23

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang HPP
I know several people that have done mild tunes with thier Ecoboost and not had any issues, key word being "mild" . I'm not looking for an extra 100hp, just the ability to take advantage of aftermarket stuff like a better exhaust and a intake.

My car will be my daily so I'm going to be conservative with anything I do to it, it would be nice to even have a low key better MPG setting and a fun weekend performance setting.

So that does give some hope that there will be a Ford "approved" way to tune the Mustang , like the Bronco Pro-cal: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-B23
You and I both, I did FBO and a pro tune and I've been excellent for 18k miles. People get careless and then call it Ecoboom lol.

Yeah I think people are blowing it out of proportion. The tunes won't be impossible, it will just take a while for them to crack the ECU and then we'll be good. It took about a year and a half for the F-150 to be unlocked, it shouldn't be long for the Mustang.

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
yeah the above is not exactly accurate at all regarding the reason the engines blew up. the early versions built in spain had tolerance issues. THAT. mixed with paper machet blocks and weak rods was just the perfect recipe for popping. I know of several stock cars that blew.
WHat was happening early on with the half decent engines is LSPI.
So, because the turbos were so small, and why LUND almost immediately stopped tuning them is because you could get a mountain of torque too low. so all of the tuning was basically to limit the torque down low which was cause the LSPI and rod blowing out the sides.
There are guys with stock 2016 blocks with big turbos which do not kick in until 4000rpms which are still running and doing uploads to instagram. these are tunedby tune+ and PD tuning.
The upgraded Rs block from the high performance had better hardware but also slightly larger turbo which both played away from this weakness.
I don't know of any HPP engined cars tuned or not that has popped.
These new ones should be at least as good as the HPP setup.
But i think the issue is OTA updates and if there is added complexity, less arguing ford has to do with people with blown tuned cars
I had mine decently tuned.
I wouldn't buy one if i couldn't tune it lol. I have the new GT on order here in australia, but if i find out the eco can be cobb tuned and we get the HPP with brembo brakes i might switch back lol

We arent expecting cars until 2nd 1/4 next year

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
Yeah the most blown engines i heard of were cobb stage 3. this guy in that thread said he wanted to go CObb stg 3 but went protune with intake instead.
The comments suggest LSPI. And i don't think the 2019 model was updated engine or was it?
Anyway, lspi can happen on Coyote engines as well. just that the ecoboost is more susceptible to it.
Basically the engine is designed to be low to mid range punchy, but in order not to blow the bottom end out, you need to rev the hell out of her XD
Which is why Adam from Tune+ wrote something about big turbos being a safe upgrade rather than E30 fuel tune on stock setup.
Anyway! Hope the new ones have better rods! :giggle:
Sponsored