• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Advice on Aftermarket Shifters - MGW

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vapor Blue GT PP X-Pipe & HRE FF10's
Hey everyone,

As i sit and wait for my new 5.0, i have been considering some modifications but have some questions. As soon as i get the car i want to add a MGW short throw shifter to make up for the slop in the MT-82 (just ordered a titanium shift knob that matches the dark horse). The goal is to replace some parts that fall short of the car's expectations without affecting the warranty, does a modification like this affect the overall warranty? And would it seem like MGW's current shifter will work with the '24 MT-82? I would hate to order the kit only to find it won't fit on a '24 mustang. Lockouts are also new to me, my '07 GT500 did not have such a thing, what happens to the lockout on the new shifter? If anyone whose had experience with aftermarket shifters could shed some light on the matter it would be appreciated!
Sponsored

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
Hey everyone,

As i sit and wait for my new 5.0, i have been considering some modifications but have some questions. As soon as i get the car i want to add a MGW short throw shifter to make up for the slop in the MT-82 (just ordered a titanium shift knob that matches the dark horse). The goal is to replace some parts that fall short of the car's expectations without affecting the warranty, does a modification like this affect the overall warranty? And would it seem like MGW's current shifter will work with the '24 MT-82? I would hate to order the kit only to find it won't fit on a '24 mustang. Lockouts are also new to me, my '07 GT500 did not have such a thing, what happens to the lockout on the new shifter? If anyone whose had experience with aftermarket shifters could shed some light on the matter it would be appreciated!
Replacing the shifter would not void your overall warranty. If the AC quits you're still covered, if something breaks that the shifter interacts with then you may have an issue.

Ford Performance is saying that their kit for 15-23 will also work on the 24 so that's a good sign that the MGW should work.

OP
OP
Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Replacing the shifter would not void your overall warranty. If the AC quits you're still covered, if something breaks that the shifter interacts with then you may have an issue.

Ford Performance is saying that their kit for 15-23 will also work on the 24 so that's a good sign that the MGW should work.
That’s what I figured in regards to warranty, good to know that Ford’s 15-23 kit works so I would guess the same thing. Thanks 👍

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just watched the video on Ford Performance Parts's site on how to replace the shifter for the short-throw.
Man that's a lot of work!!!

I think I remember swapping it on a Camaro and you could do it from inside the cab without needing to drop the mufflers and driveshaft...

I wouldn't mind having a short throw, but that's way more work than it's worth.
(unless someone figured out an easier way!)

OP
OP
Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just watched the video on Ford Performance Parts's site on how to replace the shifter for the short-throw.
Man that's a lot of work!!!

I think I remember swapping it on a Camaro and you could do it from inside the cab without needing to drop the mufflers and driveshaft...

I wouldn't mind having a short throw, but that's way more work than it's worth.
(unless someone figured out an easier way!)
lol i thought the same thing when i first watched that video, i skipped through it and immediately said "nope!" but over time the project has been growing on me with the prerequisite that it doesn't affect the overall warranty. Now that im confident that it doesn't, I'm digging a little deeper on the matter.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
lol i thought the same thing when i first watched that video, i skipped through it and immediately said "nope!" but over time the project has been growing on me with the prerequisite that it doesn't affect the overall warranty. Now that im confident that it doesn't, I'm digging a little deeper on the matter.
Well, if you want to be absolutely sure it's not gonna mess with the warranty, you can buy the Ford Performance one and have the dealer install it, then it's 100% covered.

OP
OP
Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, if you want to be absolutely sure it's not gonna mess with the warranty, you can buy the Ford Performance one and have the dealer install it, then it's 100% covered.
good point but is the Ford performance shifter comparable to the MGW? I hear alot of good things about the MGW shifter and it certainly looks beefier with more parts.
M-7210-M8C.jpg
15-22 MT82 2.png

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Supposedly the s650 has a "revised" version of the MT82.

I know it's fun to talk about but personally I would wait till I had tried the stock shifter. Probably still going to want an upgrade but it cant hurt.
Short throw shifter is great. Installed one on my 2021 . About 2 hours taking our time, one person inside, the other underneath. It makes a world of difference no clutch right rpm.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Replacing your shifter can void your trannies warranty though. I have seen it done.
Sponsored