• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 mustang the problem with expectations

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
lot course. The issue isn’t that you can buy a 2 seater ford. The issue is how ford dropped the ball by playing it too safe with the mustang. That was spotlighted with an example of someone else doing the opposite and reaping the rewards.

subject is mustang, pointing out how Ford could have avoided the downturn in sales and enthusiasm by investing in the car rather than doing as little as possible after creating a expectations it wasn’t going to live up to.
But why, as was pointed out, sacrifice sales, to reinvent an original. Yes multiple versions are welcomed but that’s what categories are created for.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
But why, as was pointed out, sacrifice sales, to reinvent an original. Yes multiple versions are welcomed but that’s what categories are created for.
Bro. They’re sacrificing sales NOW. And have been since launch. Last month, they sold nearly 20% LESS than the same time last year. For a “all new” Mustang - as was pointed out. That should have been incredibly easy to beat, since the s550 was literally dying.

its not rocket science. Playing it safe with the mustang was exactly what not to do.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bro. They’re sacrificing sales NOW. And have been since launch. Last month, they sold nearly 20% than the same time last year. That should have been incredibly easy to beat, since the s550 was literally dying.

mite not rocket science. Playin g it safe with the mustang was exactly what not to do.
So dump all the folks that at least showed interest? If pumping up a mustang as a gtd isn’t sufficient they can always bring back the gt40 and show what really happens when you wanna play.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I posted on this a few days ago. FP will be releasing their calibration for the S650 sometime in June.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So dump all the folks that at least showed interest? If pumping up a mustang as a gtd isn’t sufficient they can always bring back the gt40 and show what really happens when you wanna play.
Great thought but missing the point.

Ford destroyed the vettes with the GT. But it’s also way more expensive.

the vette has become affordable while the mustang is getting pricey for no real reason.

the magic of the mustang is that it’s given you affordable 4 seats and livable convenience n a sports car-ish body and ubnbelievablr performance for it’s day (unless you had to endure the majority of the 90s and 2009-10. tje s197 turned up the wick and was a truly fat car for its day. But 12 years later, we are getting the same performance numbers, a heavier car, and basically the same exact car as last gen.

Ford absolutely can get insane levels of performance from the mustang. Ford has the far superior engine tech. But they refuse to apply it to significant measure so far - I expect that part of the equation to change in a year. But it’s still saddled to a very old platform. Not a new one. It’s basically an s197 with IRS after eating a few too msny cheeseburgers.

the point is not which company sells the fastest car or the most expensive one. The most capable GT whoops even the c8 zo6, though you can have around 14 z06s for the money.

it’s about pushing a particular model (mustang) as hard as they can to make it as compelling as they can. And you shouldn’t have to shop at multimatic, sell your house, or buy a completely different car to check that box.

an example was given how another company has taken a different model from a different category and really went for it. And it brought success for thst model in that category.

the mustang in its own territory, has usually been a very strong seller. But now we have seen it continually lag - even worse than last gens death throes numbers - despite a supposed “all new” launch - which is a time when sales are usually high.

we all know ford played it safe, doing the minimum while charging like it was some new platform. Ford had set our expectations to be a certain way and then failed to deliver. I believe that’s a big part of the trouble we are seeing this gen. Now, imagine a future where Ford doesn’t promise the world, but shocks everyone by over delivering a compelling affordable, livable performance monster for the masses. That mustang is going places.

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
If anything… besides being a new model… if Camaro and challenger are dead… and Mustang is the only v8 muscle car left… you would think that they would see a sales increase from that as well…

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Also I don’t understand Fords plan …

They go Dark Horse because… well I guess I’m an old because I want a more traditional name … and Ford is moving forward for a new generation…

But wait… California Special… 60th anniversary… fox body gauges

Are we supposed to be moving forward or not?

I’m confused

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Also I don’t understand Fords plan …

They go Dark Horse because… well I guess I’m an old because I want a more traditional name … and Ford is moving forward for a new generation…

But wait… California Special… 60th anniversary… fox body gauges

Are we supposed to be moving forward or not?

I’m confused
it’s called pandering.

they basically made the GT… but thought they could sell for more by calling it dark horse. They couldn’t get away with calling it a Shelby or a a boss. So this had to do. Then they kept the badger GT at bullitt levels. It’s crazy. 500 hp is s lot. It should be performing better. But it’s not. That’s just wrong.

when someone is offering a product they know isn’t up to snuff, you usually get a lot of paint options, sticker packages, cool badges, interior options, wheel choices, etc. these days, digital fisher clusters fit in with that. You hear a lot about things that don’t really matter.

but when there is serious confidence, things are quieter. You hear a few mentions of how killer the product is, then let the item sell itself with reviews, measurable data, etc. when the gt500 launched in 2020, Ford knew it was killer. It looked great, had insane power, s DCT to UTILIZE THE POWER, and we didn’t hear so much about stickers etc. it was all “venom kills demons” with a smirk.

we knew we were in trouble with disingenuous statements preceding s650 such as an electric suv “saving the mustang” (as if the f150 wasn’t doing that slready) and hoe there was “Magic in the air,” “poster car,” etc.

Ford has given us a loooooooooooong stretch of saving money and doing the minimum with the mustang. The 2005 car went a long time with anemic engines, then finally got special after the Camaro relaunched. Then got a new body, interior and IRS and now it’s barely any different then the 2015 car. They’ve saved enough, stretch the D2C platform as far as it can stretch. The bubble gum snd duct tape are showing.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Ford did not play it safe they did it on the cheap and thought it would be enough to call it all new and rise the price and people would come since the Camaro and Challenger were gone and Corvette moved upmarket where old people with money finally wanted a comfortable cruiser with a decent interior looking like a fake Ferrari…To call the Mustang a new generation is dishonest and the bar should have been set at beating the 9 year old alpha platform as also giving the Coyote not 2 throttle bodies that do nothing but at least the Torque numbers of the 11 year old LT1 engine…All thats really new is the touchscreen which has cool Fox body gauges (pun intended) and its perceived to be new but really is cheaper to produce than a regular dashboard with real knobs and buttons and will still look hood when the touchscreen is cracked or turned dark when the warranty has expired…

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it’s also not the mustang.

try to keep up
Ford need to step it up?, wasn’t the gt40 evidence of what happens when they do that. Comparing multiple varieties from various manufactures all against the lowly ole mustang?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anything… besides being a new model… if Camaro and challenger are dead… and Mustang is the only v8 muscle car left… you would think that they would see a sales increase from that as well…
Let’s see, everyone was all up in arms this gen was gonna be electric and then hybrid but now that it’s ice it ain’t no good? Hah. Electric mustang and gas mustang and all others have been [relegated] to the trash heap, what’s left. Oh they should have done this that and the other with all those gov regs standing in the way. Sure glad they pushed on through and offered ice with manual shift that some say may even rotate through a turn. Could they have gone a bit more upscale on some items, sure but do people [buy] based on floor mats or nameplate?

Last edited:

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
The same people complaining about the S650 will be the ones defending it once the next generation is out.

A lot of negative people ranting about the quality, technology and comparing it to S550. Most of it is nonsense after driving the car and using it.

For anyone still doubting the 2024 based on rants, reviews, just test drive it yourself, ignore the noise and pull the trigger if it’s your style… it’s a lovely enjoyable car.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
I work at a Ford dealership in service, and the 2024 I just bought is my 8th Mustang. I've driven versions of the generations that I haven't owned as well. I like it and think its a better car. Almost everyone on this thread has good points, but many of you are overthinking it. Like it or don't, buy it or not. You can trust me that as a manufacturer, Ford cares little for any of our opinions, and is looking for a chance to cancel it so they can make more trucks, which is where their money is. We had the Fusion, an amazing sedan in either gas or hybrid, and it sold well, but the profit per unit was a lot lower than a truck, so it got cancelled.
The market for pony cars has been shrinking as the price rises, and younger people cannot afford, nor do they care about a Mustang. We've had several '24's show up on our used car lot, purchased from import dealers who took them on trade.
The mods probably ought to lock this thread, there has already been some name calling, and I doubt that anyone will be convinced of any opinion other than their own.
I know I won't :)

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
If Ford does not care about their products or customers and only about profits they might be out of business soon because people dont like bad quality with lots of problems and recalls as also it is expensive for manufacturers to deal with that stuff…Cars already gone high profit Pickups and big SUVs are also not the answer when the boomer$$$ are gone because not everyone has the money to buy what seems a $80-120K vehicle that gets 8-14 mpg while gas is going towards 6 bucks a gallon in some parts of the country for whatever rea$$$on 😡 And yes great that Ford did not pull the plug 🔌 like GM and Stellantis (at least as no V8 option for now with the new 2&4 door Charger) did and kept the Mustang alive with V8 and manual that should have been all Tremec 👍But please dont insult the customers especially the non fanboys from other brands and call it new generation when the car still has the same old bones and engine with the same shortcomings in weight , handling and torque or better lack of it…All thats new is the Touchscreen lots of people could do without or talk about the coolest feature are the Fox gauges…At least they should have kept some buttons and knobs to operate it to keep the naysayers at bay…A new Mustang as in Ford spending some money on new car and bigger bore engine would have generated excitement and conquest sales while the S650 is like a new 5.0 or DH if you need additional cooling and go for the manual that should have been the default option generates only the reaction at least we can still a V8 and manual new because the others are gone , M 2/3/4 are turbo-6 , Corvette retiree automatic cruiser and 911 out of reach…So Mustang S650 is better than nothing…I hope Mustang generates enough sales that Ford invests in a new one worth getting excited about and the ones who like the current ones and think they are good enough…Enjoy your new cars 👍
Sponsored