• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To be fair, the main change, outside of the brand new chassis that was due after essentially 10 years of the S197 being in production, was the move to an independent rear suspension. But that was almost a necessity—as opposed to some groundbreaking engineering innovation—for the Mustang to keep up with its competition. Asking for an upgrade from a MacPherson strut setup to double wishbone is like asking to raise the cost substantially with diminishing real-world returns. You don’t find that kind of front end outside of high end vehicles (I know Honda’s been an outlier) for a reason.

But the 15-17 basically had a dressed up S197 powertrain combo, not far off of the small changes we see from Gen 3 to 4 Coyotes.

So the value proposition is traditional early-stage new-Mustang: you get a new body on a modified existing chassis (see SN95 and S197 for precedent) with new tech to bring it online with the current market trends.

I know that you don’t like this car and you reserve the right to your own opinion, but I think you need to apply some more perspective.

This I can agree on, but I think the issue is entirely centered around an insufficient charging network at this time. Too few charging stations, too few chargers at said stations, too much diversity in charging ports when it should be standardized.
I agree with you on the double wishbone thing. Heck, 911s don't even have double wishbones until recently.

The EV problems are almost completely around batteries. Batteries are too expensive, take too long to charge and don't last long enough. I agree there are charging issues too, but those can be surmounted relatively easily. The battery problems may not ever be resolved.

That's all well and fair but at least for me, a new generational car that only looks different is not enough incentive to warrant upgrading. Again, the S650 is fine but there isn't enough new to make me want to sell my S550.
I suppose I'm asking too much of the Mustang anyhow. The S650 still nailed its intended purpose and intended audience. Perhaps my current wishlist no longer fits the Mustang platform.

I'm very curious what special models they'll come out with though. The GT350R was nearly perfect but the GT500 was a let down (again, my opinion). A 4200 lb sports car is no sports car at all.
I think for some people the changes will be enough. I really like the new exterior and interior. However, I'm more of an engine person. I would go to a new Mustang if there was a "gotta have it" powertrain upgrade. But from what I see so far that is not the case. Maybe once the full performance information on the DH comes out that will sell me. Who knows?

I'm not so sure. With the S550 I think there was one crowd that loved the more "modern" look and features from the get go, while the second crowd initially complained it was "too European" and "not a muscle car," etc.

With the S650 I think the first crowd is disappointed the Mustang didn't evolve further (sleeker styling, hybrid and AWD options, HUD, etc.) The second crowd is the one that says "looks like a Camaro" and hates the new dash. :)
I like the styling, but I'm not thrilled with the lack of powertrain improvements and I really dislike the current pricing. If the DH is priced right I might consider it, but if it costs more than my GT350 did, no thanks.
Sponsored