• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2016 to 2024 Ecoboost Convertible first impressions.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost conv.
PXL_20240414_153338665.jpg

First Impressions

Just picked up a 2024 ecoboost convertible with the premium 201A package. For those interested these are my initial impressions after a week or so.

This is now my third mustang convertible…

Prior Mustangs…

2013 GT Convert.
2016 Ecoboost Convert
2024 Ecoboost Convert

Other convertibles..
Fiat, Saab, Toyota, BMW 3 and 6

Initial Impressions

I was a bit reluctant to purchase the 2024 as I was wondering if it would be just more of the same compared to the 2016 I had. I was wrong. There have been significant improvements that boil down to real differences.

Engine/Power

Remarkable difference in acceleration. The car is SOOOO much more eager to go. There is virtually no lag compared to my 2016 ecoboost. The difference is amazing. I guess this is the result of the new lighter turbos. Regardless it is much closer to the feeling I had with my 2013 GT.

Transmission.

My 2013 was a manual. My 2016 and automatic. The automatic was pretty bad. It always seemed in the wrong gear…sport mode was not better. I used the paddles more than I thought I would. I was nervous about getting another automatic. After driving a 10 speed automatic Boxster and amazed at how smooth it was I decided to give the new mustang 10 speed a try. I was kind of surprised that there were no paddles anymore on the non performance pack and was a bit nervous about that. This new tranny and engine pairing is way better…honestly…i have yet to feel it was in the wrong gear…as a matter of fact i have yet to really even think about it so far as it has never gotten in my way…which should be the goal.

Convertableness

I have owned verts all my life….the Mustang, with its large trunk,...interior room and comfort, low cost of ownership and reasonable reliability …not to mention one of the fastest folding tops…is by far the easiest to live with. And the fact that it still has a soft top …which in my mind is the only way a convertible should be…is a bonus. I am glad they did not screw it up. It is still one of the best, most livable daily driver convertibles on the market.

Suspension and handling…

Convertible Ecoboost mustangs are odd…the suspension is tuned to a GT coupe. Same basic springs and components are in all versions from what i am told…the ecoboost is lighter in the front…the convertible is heavier in the back. This makes the car ride really high in the front. On my 16 ecoboost I worked with Steeda and they tested and put together a kit of different front and back springs and spacers that gave me a ½” drop and leveled the car…what a difference. That 16 handled so well. Before, the 16 seemed like the front end was always floating….kind of lagging the turns. After the upgrades, the car was always exactly where i wanted it to be…i do miss that. The new one is similar to the old before the mods..i don't know that they made any significant changes in 2024. The front comes up when accelerating…it still seems a bit sloppy to me but i am trying to convince myself it is OK so i don't have to spend a weekend under the car again

Sound System

I have been in professional audio technology all my life, designing digital recording systems, mixing consoles and such. I have done many car stereo upgrades along the way. The 2024 i have has the 12 speaker B&O system. Audio is very personal and what sounds good to one is crap to someone else so these are my impressions only. I feel all mustangs i have had are a bit harsh on the high end. On the 2013 it did a total redo…amps, subs, drivers etc. On the 2016 i never had the time but actually disconnected the tweeters as they hurt my ears and the 2.5” driver measured well into the high range. On this car, with my 60 year old ears…i am OK with it. The car is a fairly noisy car as it is (road and engine noise) so a super detailed system is kind of a waste and while i love thumping bass…i hate to eat up more of the trunk..This sound system is worlds better than the 2016 so i am happy about that …could it be better? Is the sub a bit sloppy? Yes…for me it is good enough and I will probably keep it just as is. A younger version of me might get itchy to redo it.

Wireless android auto/Carplay….love it.

Sound of Car

I loved the sound of the GT. Every morning I started the car, I could not help but smile. Why did I go to an ecoboost??..well after a few months i started having hearing problems. Between a life of too loud audio and the fact that the mustang has a relatively high road and engine noise level…as well as the trucks on the Long Island Expressway while the top is down…all contributed to some hearing problems. I had to sell it and ultimately went with the ecoboost which had very little engine sound. In the end the gas mileage and relative quietness won me over. The 2024 has much more engine noise. Does it sound more like a muscle car ….more than my old one for sure…kind of sounds like the v6 engine did. Lower, more throaty but still a 4 cylinder…is it an improvement.? For most i would say definitely…for me…i am a bit concerned but we will see how my ears hold up. I know this is heresy but if there were an electric mustang convert i would definitely be interested.

Keyfob/Remote Start

The keyfobs are always too big in my opinion. Between mine and my wifes i can barely fit my keychain in my pocket. One thing i miss is that the old keyfob had a light that indicated the success or failure of remote start. The new one looks like the light is there but mine does not do anything. On the bright side the app based remote start and door control is quite nice…I can do it from my office without being near the car.

Interior Fit and Finish

I always thought that the 16 interior was plasticky and cheesy…even the premium. They upped the game in the premium on the 2024…more soft touch,,,no fake stitching (real stitching), the plastic center console is soft touch now and all around it seems a bit higher grade. And the seats are the same…which is good as I found them comfortable. Just wish they had power reclining so that could be part of the presets.

Misc

One of the reasons i sold the 16 and got the 24 was for the advanced safety features…Lane assist, adaptive cruise control, turn warnings if cars are in the way etc. The sticker on the car is 10K higher than the 16 was. Between inflation and all the new electronics and safety features i can see why. They cut costs in good places…like the silly plastic engine cover that you always had to remove to do anything. Added good things…like safety features, interior upgrades,hood gas struts instead of the bar and made the car much faster with a much improved transmission…all makes sense and makes the 10k worth it.

Other things…wireless charger sucks…heated steering wheel is amazing..heated and cooled seats seem to work better than my old one ever did…memory seats with presets tied to key fob are great…not being able to disable auto start stop in normal driving mode sucks…

Over all a great upgrade…glad I did it. Hope this helps anyone looking to get into one.

Sponsored

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
I went from a 2018 EcoBoost Premium convertible to a 2024 EcoBoost Premium convertible with the 201A package being the only add-on. I made pretty much the same comments here, but not in as much detail. I did not comment on the sound system because I was happy with the old and am happy with the new, and I could not tell you what is good and what is bad as far as sound systems go. I had 99,000 miles on the '18. I expect to have this one longer. I love this car.

DaddyTigggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Conv.

First Impressions

Just picked up a 2024 ecoboost convertible with the premium 201A package. For those interested these are my initial impressions after a week or so.

This is now my third mustang convertible…

Prior Mustangs…

2013 GT Convert.
2016 Ecoboost Convert
2024 Ecoboost Convert

Other convertibles..
Fiat, Saab, Toyota, BMW 3 and 6

Initial Impressions

I was a bit reluctant to purchase the 2024 as I was wondering if it would be just more of the same compared to the 2016 I had. I was wrong. There have been significant improvements that boil down to real differences.

Engine/Power

Remarkable difference in acceleration. The car is SOOOO much more eager to go. There is virtually no lag compared to my 2016 ecoboost. The difference is amazing. I guess this is the result of the new lighter turbos. Regardless it is much closer to the feeling I had with my 2013 GT.

Transmission.

My 2013 was a manual. My 2016 and automatic. The automatic was pretty bad. It always seemed in the wrong gear…sport mode was not better. I used the paddles more than I thought I would. I was nervous about getting another automatic. After driving a 10 speed automatic Boxster and amazed at how smooth it was I decided to give the new mustang 10 speed a try. I was kind of surprised that there were no paddles anymore on the non performance pack and was a bit nervous about that. This new tranny and engine pairing is way better…honestly…i have yet to feel it was in the wrong gear…as a matter of fact i have yet to really even think about it so far as it has never gotten in my way…which should be the goal.

Convertableness

I have owned verts all my life….the Mustang, with its large trunk,...interior room and comfort, low cost of ownership and reasonable reliability …not to mention one of the fastest folding tops…is by far the easiest to live with. And the fact that it still has a soft top …which in my mind is the only way a convertible should be…is a bonus. I am glad they did not screw it up. It is still one of the best, most livable daily driver convertibles on the market.

Suspension and handling…

Convertible Ecoboost mustangs are odd…the suspension is tuned to a GT coupe. Same basic springs and components are in all versions from what i am told…the ecoboost is lighter in the front…the convertible is heavier in the back. This makes the car ride really high in the front. On my 16 ecoboost I worked with Steeda and they tested and put together a kit of different front and back springs and spacers that gave me a ½” drop and leveled the car…what a difference. That 16 handled so well. Before, the 16 seemed like the front end was always floating….kind of lagging the turns. After the upgrades, the car was always exactly where i wanted it to be…i do miss that. The new one is similar to the old before the mods..i don't know that they made any significant changes in 2024. The front comes up when accelerating…it still seems a bit sloppy to me but i am trying to convince myself it is OK so i don't have to spend a weekend under the car again

Sound System

I have been in professional audio technology all my life, designing digital recording systems, mixing consoles and such. I have done many car stereo upgrades along the way. The 2024 i have has the 12 speaker B&O system. Audio is very personal and what sounds good to one is crap to someone else so these are my impressions only. I feel all mustangs i have had are a bit harsh on the high end. On the 2013 it did a total redo…amps, subs, drivers etc. On the 2016 i never had the time but actually disconnected the tweeters as they hurt my ears and the 2.5” driver measured well into the high range. On this car, with my 60 year old ears…i am OK with it. The car is a fairly noisy car as it is (road and engine noise) so a super detailed system is kind of a waste and while i love thumping bass…i hate to eat up more of the trunk..This sound system is worlds better than the 2016 so i am happy about that …could it be better? Is the sub a bit sloppy? Yes…for me it is good enough and I will probably keep it just as is. A younger version of me might get itchy to redo it.

Wireless android auto/Carplay….love it.

Sound of Car

I loved the sound of the GT. Every morning I started the car, I could not help but smile. Why did I go to an ecoboost??..well after a few months i started having hearing problems. Between a life of too loud audio and the fact that the mustang has a relatively high road and engine noise level…as well as the trucks on the Long Island Expressway while the top is down…all contributed to some hearing problems. I had to sell it and ultimately went with the ecoboost which had very little engine sound. In the end the gas mileage and relative quietness won me over. The 2024 has much more engine noise. Does it sound more like a muscle car ….more than my old one for sure…kind of sounds like the v6 engine did. Lower, more throaty but still a 4 cylinder…is it an improvement.? For most i would say definitely…for me…i am a bit concerned but we will see how my ears hold up. I know this is heresy but if there were an electric mustang convert i would definitely be interested.

Keyfob/Remote Start

The keyfobs are always too big in my opinion. Between mine and my wifes i can barely fit my keychain in my pocket. One thing i miss is that the old keyfob had a light that indicated the success or failure of remote start. The new one looks like the light is there but mine does not do anything. On the bright side the app based remote start and door control is quite nice…I can do it from my office without being near the car.

Interior Fit and Finish

I always thought that the 16 interior was plasticky and cheesy…even the premium. They upped the game in the premium on the 2024…more soft touch,,,no fake stitching (real stitching), the plastic center console is soft touch now and all around it seems a bit higher grade. And the seats are the same…which is good as I found them comfortable. Just wish they had power reclining so that could be part of the presets.

Misc

One of the reasons i sold the 16 and got the 24 was for the advanced safety features…Lane assist, adaptive cruise control, turn warnings if cars are in the way etc. The sticker on the car is 10K higher than the 16 was. Between inflation and all the new electronics and safety features i can see why. They cut costs in good places…like the silly plastic engine cover that you always had to remove to do anything. Added good things…like safety features, interior upgrades,hood gas struts instead of the bar and made the car much faster with a much improved transmission…all makes sense and makes the 10k worth it.

Other things…wireless charger sucks…heated steering wheel is amazing..heated and cooled seats seem to work better than my old one ever did…memory seats with presets tied to key fob are great…not being able to disable auto start stop in normal driving mode sucks…

Over all a great upgrade…glad I did it. Hope this helps anyone looking to get into one.

I love your comments. Makes me feel even better that I purchased my 2024 EcoBoost Premium Convertible. If you haven't seen already, you can permanently turn off the auto stop/start using an eliminator from D4 Tech, https://www.4dtech.com/ford-mustang-24-start-stop-eliminator. Very easy to install, just take your time pulling out the screws and use a magnetic head if you have one. Getting the screws out from behind the screens is clunky and I dropped 2 of them down into the dash. I had to get a extendable magnet to get them out.

You talked about road noise and such. I had a quick question for you. I supposedly turn off the engine noise piped in through the speakers. I'm still getting what sounds like a weird reverb noise that bothers my ears. It sounds like a very low toned version of what you hear when you only open 1 window in a car. The odded part of it is, I only hear it once I'm cruising. During acceleration, the car sounds great and normal. Once at speed and letting the transmission settle into gear, the car becomes louder and makes the wavy reverb noise.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost conv.
How did you turn off the ese ..fake noise ? Did you also turn off the anc..noise canceling?...do you have a stock stereo or did you update it?

DaddyTigggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Conv.