• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Does the removal of the AM radio matter to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
For any owners of Ford EVs without AM broadcast capability, we’ll offer a software update.
Obviously the AM RX functionality was never removed at a component level... it was just disabled.
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Obviously the AM RX functionality was never removed at a component level... it was just disabled.
I’m not sure on the benefit of doing that… seems like it would take more resources to disable what’s already there. Also, some of these cars are already in production- will there be a software update to “enable” the AM band? Lots of unanswered questions here.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I’m not sure on the benefit of doing that… seems like it would take more resources to disable what’s already there. Also, some of these cars are already in production- will there be a software update to “enable” the AM band? Lots of unanswered questions here.
Yup, if it's just a simple software update to re enable it, why leave it out in the first place? AM radio is still useful for things like local news and weather alerts.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
The AM receiver is uniquely more subject to the introduction of excessive noise from various electronic systems which can render it virtually useless if not mitigated or designed with better filtering. You can bet they cost cut the heck out of AM car radios these days. Just a suspicion given the screens and general greater electrical/electronic content of the S650. Better off deleting a feature than have a useless one, until you find out you can’t. And now you need to fix it.

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I’m the first person to laugh at tinfoil hat conspiracies but I am convinced that someone’s lobbying to push this AM lawmaking, like iHeartMedia, or whatever broadcasting group that relies on radio platforms. These companies are hemorrhaging in value. It sounds virtuous to hear the argument for safety, but I don’t buy it

The only people I know who listen to AM are my father and his friends. They’re all in their 60s and 70s

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
I’m not sure on the benefit of doing that… seems like it would take more resources to disable what’s already there....
The benefit is quite simple.
It allows the manufacturer (presumably B&O) to have one universal PBA (Printed Board Assy) inside the entertainment system module, instead of having to manage many physical variants.

Just like the FM radio band is completely different in Japan and Russia and the bottom end of the FM band is different in all three ITU regions across the world.

I've worked in electronics manufacturing in a previous life, and one product we produced had several variations, depending on which country the customer was in. The boards would run through assembly (both automated pick and place robots and manual assembly up to a common point. Those boards would be put aside as WIP and then customised with different components added as required for the intended region. It involved a lot of double handling and was not very efficient. But that was the late '90's.

It's much cheaper to plug in a programming lead, and upload region-specific parameters during final test.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m the first person to laugh at tinfoil hat conspiracies but I am convinced that someone’s lobbying to push this AM lawmaking, like iHeartMedia, or whatever broadcasting group that relies on radio platforms. These companies are hemorrhaging in value. It sounds virtuous to hear the argument for safety, but I don’t buy it

The only people I know who listen to AM are my father and his friends. They’re all in their 60s and 70s
Technical superiority. It’s engineering. Not everyone is meant to understand.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

budman00000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C8 2021 Kia Telluride 2021 Tucson and 06 350z
Thought I read somewhere that deleting the AM radio had something to do with affecting the new electronics in the Mustangs.

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Some of you guys are short-sighted.

New technology is great until it isn't. In a true national emergency, good luck using your crApple products or the internet.

Not to mention, at night AM stations can be picked up for hundreds of miles. Free sports programming, etc.

New isn't always better.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Some of you guys are short-sighted.

New technology is great until it isn't. In a true national emergency, good luck using your crApple products or the internet.

Not to mention, at night AM stations can be picked up for hundreds of miles. Free sports programming, etc.

New isn't always better.
Do you really think an AM radio station will still be working when the internet is gone!

By that stage I'm not sure I would be that bothered about free sports programmes

In Europe AM is virtually gone, FM is still around but DAB is where most of the radio stations are now. AM sound quality is so poor (especially at night) that it is pretty pointless.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typical. Everything works off the Internet-NOT. :crackup:
AM or more specifically it’s “band”doesn’t need anything but a sweet place to be, a nice big antenna and some power to talk all over the world. No dexters, it doesn’t need the internet. I do it all the time. :giggle:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought I read somewhere that deleting the AM radio had something to do with affecting the new electronics in the Mustangs.
Probably vice versa. The electronics are more likely to affect the AM radio.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Typical. Everything works off the Internet-NOT. :crackup:
AM or more specifically it’s “band”doesn’t need anything but a sweet place to be, a nice big antenna and some power to talk all over the world. No dexters, it doesn’t need the internet. I do it all the time. :giggle:
My point was that the internet is extremely resilient - if it has 'failed' all manor of shit will have gone down. Not least the power and sources of information to talk about. Unless the price of chickens in Long Island is the limit of your interest!

Do you really think those AM stations are just a bloke and a transmitter or have you considered they may be connected to the outside world!
Sponsored