• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Steering feel on s650 vs s550

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
You guys obviously never took these cars to a track...PP2,GT350,Mach1,DH with wide fronts tramline badly...I can tell you from my own experience on a trackday a couple years ago I am in my SS1LE and a couple other guys in a Mch 1 and C7Z51 us switching cars to compare...There was no steering feel on the Mustang and the youtubers/mags say the S650 is worse but you really did not need it because if you were pushing it it understeered followed by oversteer and then slow steering ratio to catch it.I was done after one seassion but liked the brakes , the Tremec and the sweet sound.The C7 oviously had the same engine as the SS1LE but had snap-oversteer at the limit and a less precise shifter with taller gears...The SS was the easiest to drive fast because very confidence inspiring but not very exiting because it just tracked like om rails with am engine that pulled very linear but not very fast or exiting...BUT this is not a problem as long as you use the Mustang as it is...A Cruiser with a great sounding V8 and the ability to row your own gears ! But its not a track car or sportscar that gives you confidence on the track...IMHO
Sponsored

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I was just looking. Scat pack only 6400 RPM redline. Why so scared of RPM? So weak so weak.

Scat Pack is like the semi truck diesel motor of muscle car. Low RPM heavy and wide. Does it come with 16 speed transmission also?

I think my F150 have same redline as Scat Pack. What is tow rating for Scat Pack? Maybe better comparison is my truck. I think weigh the same.

: )

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now think about more. Look at these fender flares. My truck is just like wide body option.

S650 Mustang Steering feel on s650 vs s550 IMG_2538

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now think about more. Look at these fender flares. My truck is just like wide body option.

IMG_2538.jpeg
All whats missing is a torquey V8 to make it perfect...LOL Btw there are 10 , 13 , 15 and 18 speed transmissions on 18 wheelers but nowadays 90% of the truckers cant even shift a unsynchronized transmission anymore so they get ZF 12 speed automated manuals...KInd of the the GT500...LOL

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from an 03 GT vert, I actually like the steering in the s650. I test drove a new 2023 Mach 1 and to me it was ok but what sold me on the s650 was the interior/creature comforts which seem far ahead of the s550. I also have a 2024 VW Atlas which believe it or not feels a lot like the Mustang. I was surprised but even wifey noticed it.. Go figure!
The S650 feeling like a VW Atlas says it all...Come on Ford you can do better !

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The S650 feeling like a VW Atlas says it all...Come on Ford you can do better !
lol yeah … not sure if I would ever want to brag that my sports car steering feels just like a family SUV…

I mean at least it might be a little better if it was some performance SUV lol

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
lol yeah … not sure if I would ever want to brag that my sports car steering feels just like a family SUV…

I mean at least it might be a little better if it was some performance SUV lol
Well obviously I am referring to day to day daily driving, unless the wife has been to the track and hasn't told me.

Of course for spirited driving the Mustang is light years ahead, but around town, highway and typical driving they are surprisingly quite similar. The Atlas also has different modes including Sport, comfort etc. To me the biggest difference the shift points and the steering is slightly different but not really noticeable.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I can say after owning a 2015 GT non-PP and now a 2024 GT PP, the '24 may feel a little more "numb" through the different steering options than my 2015. I put 30k miles on my 2015, and I have 7k miles on my '24. I drove 240 miles of Tennessee's finest curves and twist and turns this weekend, pushing the '24 beyond what I am comfortable with usually, and it held its own with no issues. The smoothness of the steering honestly gave me a lot more confidence with every sharp and aggressive turn. I personally drive my cars with a deep feeling of connection to every aspect of the car, steering as only being one of many things the car is saying that I listen to. Having Steeda Progressives on a good tire, there is a LOT of feedback being given in many other ways other than steering. If you listen and feel what the car is telling you, you will know the limits and be perfectly fine.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can say after owning a 2015 GT non-PP and now a 2024 GT PP, the '24 may feel a little more "numb" through the different steering options than my 2015. I put 30k miles on my 2015, and I have 7k miles on my '24. I drove 240 miles of Tennessee's finest curves and twist and turns this weekend, pushing the '24 beyond what I am comfortable with usually, and it held its own with no issues. The smoothness of the steering honestly gave me a lot more confidence with every sharp and aggressive turn. I personally drive my cars with a deep feeling of connection to every aspect of the car, steering as only being one of many things the car is saying that I listen to. Having Steeda Progressives on a good tire, there is a LOT of feedback being given in many other ways other than steering. If you listen and feel what the car is telling you, you will know the limits and be perfectly fine.
That's an excellent description.
I agree that knowing and feeling the car and how it reacts to certain situations is key.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's an excellent description.
I agree that knowing and feeling the car and how it reacts to certain situations is key.
Another good thing to do to learn what the car does under certain situations and how to correct it when it may get away, go find a big open parking lot, turn all assists off and put it on the floor. Drive forward and turn hard one way or the other, learn what it feels like and how to fix it. I promise you'll feel more confident and be a lot safer in the long run.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another good thing to do to learn what the car does under certain situations and how to correct it when it may get away, go find a big open parking lot, turn all assists off and put it on the floor. Drive forward and turn hard one way or the other, learn what it feels like and how to fix it. I promise you'll feel more confident and be a lot safer in the long run.
Yes!
That is how I taught my kids how to drive in snow/ice.

I also put a hazard road cone down and asked them to accelerate to a certain speed and hit the brakes when they felt they could stop close to the cone but not hitting it. initially they all obliterated the cone but got better as time progressed.

This was to teach them a feel for how long it takes a 3000lb car to stop.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
…finest curves and twist and turns this weekend, pushing the '24 beyond what I am comfortable with usually, and it held its own with no issues. The smoothness of the steering honestly gave me a lot more confidence with every sharp and aggressive turn.
Cool, oh …
Having Steeda Progressives on a good tire, there is a LOT of feedback being given in many other ways other than steering. If you listen and feel what the car is telling you, you will know the limits and be perfectly fine.
Not knocking, wondering - degree of difference.

…although knowing when nanny kicks in if she hasn’t been sent home is also helpful.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I haven't driven an S550, but yeah the S650 steering even in Sport mode is a little too numb and detached feeling. Very comfortable to drive but not sporty enough for my liking.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes!
That is how I taught my kids how to drive in snow/ice.

I also put a hazard road cone down and asked them to accelerate to a certain speed and hit the brakes when they felt they could stop close to the cone but not hitting it. initially they all obliterated the cone but got better as time progressed.

This was to teach them a feel for how long it takes a 3000lb car to stop.
Unfortunately I taught myself everything I know car wise, at 24 years old I can say (knock on wood) I've never gotten in any wrecks, no tickets, nothing. I bought my 2015 GT at 19 and learned the car very slowly as it was intimidating, but I got comfortable. Now with the 2024 GT, I know my limits and the cars limits, it's easy going now. I have had a close call on a ticket but got a verbal warning as it was 2:30 am and the cop liked mustangs, 115mph in a 55mph, country roads. Only reason I truly think he didn't take my ass to jail is because he hadn't got a radar reading on me by the time I saw "sherrif" on the side of his Durango and immediately slowed down, car on the shoulder and engine off, patiently waiting 😂. After I got my ID back and we started shooting the shit, he asked what I was going off the record because he could hear me well before he saw me 😂. Super cool cop, drove myself home and called it a night after that.
Sponsored