• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 vs S197 Models

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th Anniversary & 1983 Mustang GT 5.0
In a recent conversation with my son, I asked him what he would do with my '15 GT if something happened to me. He said that he would sell it and buy a 2013 or '14 Boss 302. He owned 3 different Mustangs ('02,'04 and '14), and sadly wrecked all three, though one was not his fault. He does not like the independent rear suspension of the newer models. I reminded him that when Ford came out with the '05 Mustang, some reviews said that it handled like a brick, compared to the previous 4th Generation model. Not sure if I would sell my '15 for the previous year model S197, but I guess we all have our preferences. Another thing he doesn't like about my '15 is that it has an automatic, rather than a manual trans. I am in my early 60's and been through the "stick shifties" days in my youth. So there's the age difference involved... Not saying who's right or wrong. So I guess my question is, has anyone owned the S650 Mustang Gt and a S197 GT model and talk about the pros and cons of both.
Sponsored

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Probably some mad reason why every real sportscar manufacturer puts in IRS. I had a 2004 Mustang GT, I could not be paid to get a solid axle vs IRS...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
I owned both a 2007 GT500 vert and a 2009 Bullitt. Both were nice cars, and with overall better build quality than my S550. I actually preferred the Bullitt to the Shelby (handled far better), and if it would have been powered by the 5.0 I'd probably still have it.

Although I prefer most everything about the S550 over the S197s, I'd swap my '15 for the right '13 Boss 302 in a heartbeat.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I liked my '13 GT. Didn't really have any complaints at the time. I do like the interior of my S550 a lot better though. As far as ride quality, I can't really tell a difference. All my other cars were a solid axle, this being my first IRS car. It may be smoother riding, but our roads suck so there's not much difference in feel. The '13 was an auto, the '18 is a manual. I found myself bored driving the auto every day. I'd always be throwing it in sport mode and manually upshifting and downshifting just to have something to do and make it more enjoyable. I'm 42 now and still like to row through the gears. My truck is an auto, and it rarely gets driven.

BCB06GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
I have had the following:
1996 Mustang GT 5 spd manual
2000 Mustang GT 5 spd manual vert
2006 Mustang GT 5 spd manual vert
2019 Mustang Bullitt

While not in the OP, the 2000 had everything but a blower done. This includes long tubes, cams, etc on the engine and a full 2003 Cobra suspension added (front and rear). Many people hated the 2003/04 Cobra IRS, but it was 100x better than what came on the standard GT. Yes, the IRS couldn't handle the power potential of the boosted Cobra, but on a 300 rwhp GT, it was great.

The 2006GT had the Saleen Supershaker blower with upgraded suspension parts. The engine with the blower was perfect for the street. The suspension was not up to the rest of the car. The ride, smoothness and handling of the S550 is night and day over the S197. I drove a 2018 GT auto before staying with the manual transmission. Yes, the 10 speed is faster, but after a long test drive on two occasions, I liked the "connected feel" to the car with the manual.
Sponsored