• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rotten Egg, Sulfur Smell?

DBCooper13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20241 Mustang EcoBoost
Has anyone else noticed a rotten egg/sulfur smell when they shut off the engine? I always heard this was normally the result of catalytic converters responding to leaded fuel but I've only used unleaded. Vehicle only has a couple of hundred miles on it.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Has anyone else noticed a rotten egg/sulfur smell when they shut off the engine? I always heard this was normally the result of catalytic converters responding to leaded fuel but I've only used unleaded. Vehicle only has a couple of hundred miles on it.
Does it respond sluggishly? E-brake locked - although different smell but smells can at times be relative. How’s the operating temps. If you melted a cat the engine will struggle like having a potato stuffed into the exhaust pipe and your temps will climb and be off the chart pretty quick.

edit: I will add this - new as in factory new will/may have an initial smell (basic burn in heat cycle) but it should not persist nor intensify.

Last edited:

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
edit: I will add this - new as in factory new will/may have an initial smell (basic burn in heat cycle) but it should not persist nor intensify.
This. I had a cat pee smell for a bit, it came from heater when it first came on but it went away.

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Pro Street 74 GTO, 2024 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Often, that sulfur smell is from carbon from the cylinders getting into the catalytic converters (often after high rpm runs) but in a new car, carbon shouldn’t build up…🤷🏻

unk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I've noticed it as well with my EB, and as mentioned above I usually caught it after doing some heavy footed acceleration. It comes and goes, not sure if its something I should be a bit more wary of over time, I've got about 5k miles on it

Ishyne22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP - 2016 F150 5.0 ST - 2004 Ram SRT10 - 2003 Brickyard Nissan 350z TP
This excess gas fouling your catalytic converters. Repeated cold starts can exacerbate this during open loop cycle as the engine is dumping gobs of fuel before entering closed loop. Moreover, with only a couple hundred miles your ecu is still learning your driving habits and will lean out fuel injection over time. If there is a problem you will get a check engine. Have fun

OP
OP

DBCooper13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20241 Mustang EcoBoost
Does it respond sluggishly? E-brake locked - although different smell but smells can at times be relative. How’s the operating temps. If you melted a cat the engine will struggle like having a potato stuffed into the exhaust pipe and your temps will climb and be off the chart pretty quick.

No, it runs fine.