• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Road tar...

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Tryin' to keep her clean, but I've got some road tar buildup near the wheels. Anybody know any tricks to get this stuff off?
Sponsored

OP
OP
IntoTheFold

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
IntoTheFold

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the tar on the paint? I"ve been able to use WD-40 to remove line paint that I kicked up onto the side of the car and stuck on bug guts. Doesn't hurt the paint on the vehicle.
Thanks a million!!

OP
OP
IntoTheFold

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today I learned peanut butter works, supposedly...

S650 Mustang Road tar... 1000000669

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Griots makes some good stuff, Tar, Sap & Bug Remover.

OP
OP
IntoTheFold

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Griots makes some good stuff, Tar, Sap & Bug Remover.
Was just at AutoZone when I read this. Picked up some Griots to add to my collection. Thanks!!

OP
OP
IntoTheFold

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious, did you try the peanut butter? Oil's do wonderous things.
I actually tried WD40 and it worked like a charm! Went by the car wash afterwards for good measure. I'm a little skeptical about the peanut butter, but hey... if it removes gum from hair....

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Is there anything worse than tar when it comes to keeping a car clean? I remember my first attempt at removing tar on my first car..............................it didn't go well.

I think the key thing with tar removal is to attend to it ASAP to prevent it fully bonding to the paint. It's also extremely important to allow the chemical to do the work for you, which in turn means safer removal.

My base level tar remover is Carpro TarX, in fact this was the first tar remover I used that actually worked! With TarX, or any tar remover, spray onto the deposit, allow to soak and then pressure wash off. If the tar is removed, great. If not, reapply the chemical and agitate GENTLY with a microfiber towel. Alway rinse the treated area afterwards, tar removers are all solvents.

Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Road tar... IMG-4973

The next step above TarX would be Stoner's Tarminator. This works well on stubborn, baked on tar. It's potent though, so work in a ventilated area, treat small areas at a time, and rinse well after use. Off label, Tarminator makes a great (occasional) ultra heavy-duty tire cleaner, I've also discovered that it will remove baked on carbon deposits from exhaust tips. Every car guy should have a bottle of this!

Stoner Tarminator - 10oz (Aerosol) | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

S650 Mustang Road tar... IMG-2849

The sledgehammer would be Koch Chemie Eulex. Like TarX, this is a combined tar and adhesives remover, unlike TarX, you have to be careful with this stuff. Eulex will melt tar like no tomorrow, but is a potent solvent and must be used with care. You absolutely want to use this in a ventilated area, treat small areas and avoid excessive agitation. Rinse well after use.

Koch-Chemie Eulex | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

S650 Mustang Road tar... IMG-7780

OP
OP
IntoTheFold

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there anything worse than tar when it comes to keeping a car clean? I remember my first attempt at removing tar on my first car..............................it didn't go well.

I think the key thing with tar removal is to attend to it ASAP to prevent it fully bonding to the paint. It's also extremely important to allow the chemical to do the work for you, which in turn means safer removal.

My base level tar remover is Carpro TarX, in fact this was the first tar remover I used that actually worked! With TarX, or any tar remover, spray onto the deposit, allow to soak and then pressure wash off. If the tar is removed, great. If not, reapply the chemical and agitate GENTLY with a microfiber towel. Alway rinse the treated area afterwards, tar removers are all solvents.

Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

IMG-4973.jpg

The next step above TarX would be Stoner's Tarminator. This works well on stubborn, baked on tar. It's potent though, so work in a ventilated area, treat small areas at a time, and rinse well after use. Off label, Tarminator makes a great (occasional) ultra heavy-duty tire cleaner, I've also discovered that it will remove baked on carbon deposits from exhaust tips. Every car guy should have a bottle of this!

Stoner Tarminator - 10oz (Aerosol) | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

IMG-2849.jpg

The sledgehammer would be Koch Chemie Eulex. Like TarX, this is a combined tar and adhesives remover, unlike TarX, you have to be careful with this stuff. Eulex will melt tar like no tomorrow, but is a potent solvent and must be used with care. You absolutely want to use this in a ventilated area, treat small areas and avoid excessive agitation. Rinse well after use.

Koch-Chemie Eulex | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

IMG-7780.jpg
The big guns!! I will try to look for these products. Thank you for the tips!

OP
OP
IntoTheFold

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Price of groceries today who can afford peanut butte.
If you have a Shelby and some bread, you can make a peanut butter and Shelby sandwich, though.

Last edited: