• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Motor vehicle battery rundown protection system

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Now, I know a lot of people on here have been having problems with their battery’s dying.
So I was reading up on some of the Mustangs still coming into the dealers around here, and saw that they have battery with run down protection.
So I was reading up on that, and with me being a woman and not knowing a whole lot about cars, other than how to drive them pretty much, I didn’t really know what all this means. Can someone explain this to me? I would ask my husband, but he’s in bed.

A system responsive to the voltage of a motor vehicle battery when the vehicle engine is not running operates to disconnect the battery from the vehicle electrical loads prior to the point at which the battery becomes too discharged to restart the vehicle engine. The apparatus which operates to disconnect the battery from the loads is inhibited if an abrupt battery voltage drop indicative of vehicle entry is sensed, and the inhibit is maintained for a timed period sufficiently long in duration to allow entry of the vehicle and starting of the engine.
TIA
Sponsored

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Now, I know a lot of people on here have been having problems with their battery’s dying.
So I was reading up on some of the Mustangs still coming into the dealers around here, and saw that they have battery with run down protection.
So I was reading up on that, and with me being a woman and not knowing a whole lot about cars, other than how to drive them pretty much, I didn’t really know what all this means. Can someone explain this to me? I would ask my husband, but he’s in bed.

A system responsive to the voltage of a motor vehicle battery when the vehicle engine is not running operates to disconnect the battery from the vehicle electrical loads prior to the point at which the battery becomes too discharged to restart the vehicle engine. The apparatus which operates to disconnect the battery from the loads is inhibited if an abrupt battery voltage drop indicative of vehicle entry is sensed, and the inhibit is maintained for a timed period sufficiently long in duration to allow entry of the vehicle and starting of the engine.
TIA
You are reading the abstract of a patent filing from GM filed in 1983. You need to read the rest of this to make sense. Link to Patent US4493001A

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

TIA
Every time the subject comes up I’m reminded of some old Eddie Murphy.

Sponsored