• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Latching the top closed takes 2 tries

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Convertible, 21 Explorer ST
I finally took delivery on Monday and was blessed with glorious mild and sunny weather (for Toronto in February : 9C / 48F) for the first 24 hours, so I opened the top a few times.

When closing it, I’d hold the button until the top wasn’t moving any closer to the windshield but found that it was just a bit too far for the manual latch to hook into it. I’d do a follow-up press on the close button, which would move it 1/2” closer, which does the trick. For some reason, it always has taken a second press of the close button like this to fully latch it shut.

Is this something others have experienced? Maybe the cold temperature is making the fabric extra tight?
Sponsored

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Sometimes. I just hold the close button until I hear contact. That should be close enough to finish closing

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I’m gonna admit to yes. But the button, mechanics (mechanism), and the motion all play a part. Sometimes the timing is perfect sometimes not. I’m just glad I don’t have to start over when it’s not as smooth as it could be.

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember the days with large cars that you had to really stretch to lock and unlock the passenger side convertible latch.

sarahestelle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I finally took delivery on Monday and was blessed with glorious mild and sunny weather (for Toronto in February : 9C / 48F) for the first 24 hours, so I opened the top a few times.

When closing it, I’d hold the button until the top wasn’t moving any closer to the windshield but found that it was just a bit too far for the manual latch to hook into it. I’d do a follow-up press on the close button, which would move it 1/2” closer, which does the trick. For some reason, it always has taken a second press of the close button like this to fully latch it shut.

Is this something others have experienced? Maybe the cold temperature is making the fabric extra tight?
Mine has gotten easier. Got him the end of September.

Mikecord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang Gt convertible

I had 2022 mustang that was hard to lock. My wife couldn’t do it by herself ended up ordering a 2024 and it so much easier.

rockman 2738

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Titanium
I picked mine up at the end of October. I would hold it down until it closed. It wouldn't latch, so I would push it one or two more times and it would go down another 1/2" or so, then it would close. I thought it wasn't lining up side to side. Now, almost four months later, it closes on the one push. I wouldn't call it easy to latch. My wife has no strength in her hands and I doubt if she could unlatch or latch it. It's been up and down a lot. I'm in Las Vegas and if it hits the mid-50s and the sun is out, the top goes down. I love the heated seats

OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, all. It's encouraging to hear that other roofs started like mine and improved over time. I guess the roof might have a break-in period of its own.

Like I needed another reason to put the top down at every opportunity! 😎

BTL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, all. It's encouraging to hear that other roofs started like mine and improved over time. I guess the roof might have a break-in period of its own.

Like I needed another reason to put the top down at every opportunity! 😎
BTW, very nice car. I ordered the EXACT car in Grabber Blue. Took delivery in October. I've tinted the windows, including windshield. Now looking for a rear spoiler (black)

OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, very nice car. I ordered the EXACT car in Grabber Blue. Took delivery in October. I've tinted the windows, including windshield. Now looking for a rear spoiler (black)
Thanks! My compliments for your taste in cars. :like: I also got a tint on the side and rear glass, but not the windshield. Please post some pics if you find a spoiler you like! I'm still on the fence about whether I want one myself...

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird

You need to work the top to get it to stretch. After a half dozen up and down mine is fine.

BTL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! My compliments for your taste in cars. :like: I also got a tint on the side and rear glass, but not the windshield. Please post some pics if you find a spoiler you like! I'm still on the fence about whether I want one myself...

I've been looking for a spoiler since last October. I just think the car looks bare without one. I ordered one and dry fit it on the car and it looked fantastic only to discover right before install that it wouldn't fit a convertible. Not really sure why because it looked fine with the dry fit. I was told it was due to the left and right tips could damage the quarter panels upon closing. DAR Spoilers is looking for a convertible donor car to manufacture one. I'll keep you posted. BTW, ceramic tint on the windshield looks really nice. I'll post some pics later...thanks and take care.

wanted00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mutang GT Prem
is there any easy way to close windows after closing the top. It makes me crazy to close all windows seperatly.

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
is there any easy way to close windows after closing the top. It makes me crazy to close all windows seperatly.
I pull the two front window switches up at the same time, and then the back windows. Does not take a lot of time.
Sponsored