• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT A10 - in drive, acting like in manual mode

JP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Have not seen this posted before. I've had a few instances where, from a full stop, accelerating shows the gear number on the dash (like in manual mode) and will not automatically shift to a higher gear (shows 1st gear). I switch to neutral and back to drive to to get it to re-engage. Have around 3800 miles. The few times it has happened - car has been driven for awhile (mixed city/highway) and engine is not cold. So far, it has only done it when I'm accelerating from a complete stop. Anybody seen this? I can bring it to the dealer, but doubt I would be able to replicate this intermittent issue.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I suggest a test. Next time it happens, see if the paddle shifters work. It sounds like your gear selector is slipping from auto mode to manual mode and if that is the case, possible a simple adjustment to the mode select lever might be in order.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Have not seen this posted before. I've had a few instances where, from a full stop, accelerating shows the gear number on the dash (like in manual mode) and will not automatically shift to a higher gear (shows 1st gear). I switch to neutral and back to drive to to get it to re-engage. Have around 3800 miles. The few times it has happened - car has been driven for awhile (mixed city/highway) and engine is not cold. So far, it has only done it when I'm accelerating from a complete stop. Anybody seen this? I can bring it to the dealer, but doubt I would be able to replicate this intermittent issue.

Those A10 transmissions are known to be kind of terrible as they like to hunt for gears for maximum efficiency. In theory this is fine as long as it learns a particular driver's style but it doesn't do that. It gets jerky and clunky.

I would absolutely take it in to your dealer and request to show them on a drive. Get one of their tech's butt in the passenger seat and replicate it (as long as you are certain you can replicate it). You don't want this to get worse a few years from now when the warranty is up. Then you get to flip the bill for the repair.