• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 300A
My 300A car came without either of these under hood bracing parts at all - just a piece of plastic trim as shown In the photos below. While I had not yet had reason to complain about the handling of my new car, this ought to tighten things up just a bit, especially when going hard in the corners.

Using the Ford Accessories web page I ordered this kit comprising two metal parts and 4 nuts. A slip of yellow paper in the box provided a link to online instructions, linked below. This installation was fairly straightforward.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-20201-M-GT350.PDF

Mustang Ford Performance Strut Tower Brace (Qty - 1)$260.00
Part Number: M20201MAI used more Ford Pass Points instead of cash.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0645

Installed kit - comes with both the steel cowl extension and the strut tower brace, along with 4 nuts to secure them both atop your strut towers. My car had nuts on the passenger side securing the plastic piece. Use the new nuts that come in the kit. If you already have the full steel cowl extension (only) then you are just removing the 4 nuts on your strut towers to add the strut brace on top of what you have. My 300A car had neither. So, I needed everything in the kit. The steel cowl extension dropped in first followed by the strut tower brace atop it, then the 4 nuts.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0646

Before and after comparison - I placed the original plastic piece atop the finished work just to show you what came on my car.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0644

Driver’s side

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0643

Passenger’s side. Note that you have to snip the zip tie (seen around the battery cable) to unscrew that plastic cable retainer. Use a new zip tie through the existing slot on the retainer when putting it back on. They’d say to disconnect that battery cable but I was able to slip both metal pieces in with care under it. Definitely would be easier though to have that battery cable out of the way.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0642

Various fasteners removed. Use the blue liquid in reassembly of the 4 existing bolts and the new nuts they provide.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0641

Plastic piece that came off of the car on top, steel cowl extension that replaces it is seen below it.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0640

4 bolts (two under the plastic trim) take a 1/2” wrench or socket. The strut tower bolts take a 15mm deep socket.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0639

Snip the zip tie, then unscrew this plastic cable retainer. New zip tie will resecure that battery cable when you’re done

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_0638

Lift up on the plenum trim piece to access two of the 4 bolts you’ll remove to get the lower plastic “1/2 K” piece out. As instructions say, you do not have to remove your wipers and take this piece off of the car - just lift up to access the two hidden (of 4 total) bolts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Adefend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboost
My 300A car came without any under bracing at all - just a piece of plastic trim as shown In the photos below. This ought to tighten things up just a bit in corners.

Using the Ford Accessories web page they sent me this kit and a link to online instructions. Installation was fairly straightforward.

Part Number: M20201MA

IMG_0645.jpeg

Installed kit - comes with both the metal k-member and the strut tower brace, along with 4 nuts to secure them both atop your strut towers. My car had nuts on the passenger side securing the plastic piece. Use the new nuts that come in the kit. K-member drops in first, then the tower brace atop it, then the 4 nuts.

IMG_0646.jpeg

I placed the original plastic piece atop the finished work just to show you what came on my car.

IMG_0644.jpeg

Driver’s side

IMG_0643.jpeg

Passenger’s side. Note that you have to snip the zip tie to unscrew that plastic cable retainer. Use a new zip tie through the existing slot on the retainer when putting it back on.

IMG_0642.jpeg

Various fasteners removed. Use the blue liquid in reassembly of the 4 existing bolts and the new nuts they provide.

IMG_0641.jpeg

Plastic piece that came off of the car on top, metal K-member to install is seen below it.

IMG_0640.jpeg

4 bolts (two under the plastic trim) take a 1/2” wrench or socket. The strut tower bolts take a 15mm deep socket.

IMG_0639.jpeg

Snip the zip tie, then unscrew this plastic cable retainer.

IMG_0638.jpeg

Lift up on the plenum trim piece to access two of the 4 bolts you’ll remove to get the lower plastic “1/2 K” piece out.
Did you have to pull the positive battery cable when you installed the brace?

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 300A
Instructions said to…but I did not. I got the metal parts under that thick cable anyway.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Did you have to pull the positive battery cable when you installed the brace?
I did with mine....took 15 secs to pull the negative and positive battery cables. I did that rather than trying to stretch and pull on the harness to squeeze the braces under.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Were you able to feel the differences between without braces and with braces?? I bet it's a big difference! Let us guys know what you feel!

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways, 50th wh
My 300A car came without either of these under hood bracing parts at all - just a piece of plastic trim as shown In the photos below. While I had not yet had reason to complain about the handling of my new car, this ought to tighten things up just a bit, especially when going hard in the corners.

Using the Ford Accessories web page I ordered this kit comprising two metal parts and 4 nuts. A slip of yellow paper in the box provided a link to online instructions, linked below. This installation was fairly straightforward.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-20201-M-GT350.PDF

Part Number: M20201MAI used more Ford Pass Points instead of cash.

IMG_0645.jpeg

Installed kit - comes with both the steel cowl extension and the strut tower brace, along with 4 nuts to secure them both atop your strut towers. My car had nuts on the passenger side securing the plastic piece. Use the new nuts that come in the kit. If you already have the full steel cowl extension (only) then you are just removing the 4 nuts on your strut towers to add the strut brace on top of what you have. My 300A car had neither. So, I needed everything in the kit. The steel cowl extension dropped in first followed by the strut tower brace atop it, then the 4 nuts.

IMG_0646.jpeg

Before and after comparison - I placed the original plastic piece atop the finished work just to show you what came on my car.

IMG_0644.jpeg

Driver’s side

IMG_0643.jpeg

Passenger’s side. Note that you have to snip the zip tie (seen around the battery cable) to unscrew that plastic cable retainer. Use a new zip tie through the existing slot on the retainer when putting it back on. They’d say to disconnect that battery cable but I was able to slip both metal pieces in with care under it. Definitely would be easier though to have that battery cable out of the way.

IMG_0642.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg

Plastic piece that came off of the car on top, steel cowl extension that replaces it is seen below it.

IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

Snip the zip tie, then unscrew this plastic cable retainer. New zip tie will resecure that battery cable when you’re done

IMG_0638.jpeg

Lift up on the plenum trim piece to access two of the 4 bolts you’ll remove to get the lower plastic “1/2 K” piece out. As instructions say, you do not have to remove your wipers and take this piece off of the car - just lift up to access the two hidden (of 4 total) bolts.
So...here is the question: On the S550's, there was a firewall reinforcement piece that had to be purchased separately (around $50) where the K-brace attached to the firewall. On the Ford kits, they never included it, but everyone knew to purchase it separately.

I have one on my S550.

Does the S650 require this part? See the additional part in my pix below.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit 1703800859432

Thanks

CVCashmere
S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit 1703800859432

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 300A
I noticed just a bit of a harsher ride over the local rough two-lane country roads, but no difference out on I-65. I haven’t had time to go for a fun drive where I can stick the car into a few corners. I wonder how the 300A suspension parts are otherwise with respect to the non performance pack cars up through 401A? My car does have the optional 19” wheels (these are a square set up, non-staggered, 19x8.5” all around I think?) as you can see in my sig photo. I did not see evidence of that third cowl reinforcement piece when I lifted up the plastic to slide in the (supplied) cowl extension. I’d also Iike to know if we need that piece and its part number details. Notice that my kit instructions referenced the GT350 Mustang so it tracks back to the S550 cars. Maybe one of us will “CALL THE FORD PERFORMANCE TECHLINE AT 1-800-367-3788” to find out?

Last edited:

FroYo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I put that thing on my a month or so back, I would say there was some difference on cornering, at the speed after 40mph. Front feels stiffer, not rolling like before not twisting. First I feel like it Dejavu or Placebo thing. But after few days I start feel like no it is not. it is go to update for sure. btw I bought mine for ~$200. if you pair it with better sway bars and springs this will feel way different.

Vaporized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F150,1970 Mach1 428cj
I agree,definitely improved the handling and overall chassis stability.Got a great deal on a gt350 brace online from Levittown Ford and steel k brace from Blue Oval Industries.

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_3939

S650 Mustang DIY (photo essay) for Ford Performance under hood strut brace kit IMG_3830
Sponsored