• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dash graphics - Pay per download - Is it possible / plausible?

Would you spend money for different branded dash downloads?

• Total voters

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
While I would like to think that Ford will give us some sort of long term support, they typically don't do that. Outside of warranty and OTA updates, they will probably be MIA. With that being said, I think that a sustainable model would be to open up the dashboard graphics for people developing their own looks and graphics. I'm not a developer, but I have some ideas on how it may or may not work. In my mind, license the graphics just like apparel and merchandise. Ford doesn't have the financial burden of development and gets some cash on the other with the licensing. They do it on patented parts all the time. Racor filter makes the 6.0L and 6.4L oil and fuel filters. They sell them to other companies (not Motorcraft) and make royalties off the sale.

What would this look like?

• Get certified by Ford
  • Develop all the dashboards you can make
  • Submit it to Ford through their process
  • Sells on the Fordpass app, Ford website, or through Ford performance.
  • Customer pays Ford then Ford pays the developer.
Market price would feel right at $10-$15 a download.

I think a large developer could create their own site but then Ford would have to allow side loading and not direct OTA download. I think the process would be much more user friendly and reach more of an audience using the OTA download feature. I myself would probably spend some coinage on different screens. It could be the colors I want, graphics, or even different gauges. This could even allow for companies like Whipple to make a dash for the customers that buy a supercharger. Think @LethalPerformance , @tj@steeda , @Late Model Restoration , or @RTR Vehicles dash graphics. You know people would be all over this supporting the brands they use, like, trust, and love. Think of this marketing idea. Spend $500 on (your favorite aftermarket parts brand) and get a coupon code to download a free (your favorite aftermarket parts brand) dash cluster.

Disclaimer, I can see some sort of legal beagles on this trail with safety or functionality, so I think the licensing part would help that. Kind of like Apple or Android approving apps.

This is all just a pipedream, but I am sure I am not the only one thinking this. Hopefully Ford and partners are as well.
Sponsored

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
While I would like to think that Ford will give us some sort of long term support, they typically don't do that. Outside of warranty and OTA updates, they will probably be MIA. With that being said, I think that a sustainable model would be to open up the dashboard graphics for people developing their own looks and graphics. I'm not a developer, but I have some ideas on how it may or may not work. In my mind, license the graphics just like apparel and merchandise. Ford doesn't have the financial burden of development and gets some cash on the other with the licensing. They do it on patented parts all the time. Racor filter makes the 6.0L and 6.4L oil and fuel filters. They sell them to other companies (not Motorcraft) and make royalties off the sale.

What would this look like?

• Get certified by Ford
  • Develop all the dashboards you can make
  • Submit it to Ford through their process
  • Sells on the Fordpass app, Ford website, or through Ford performance.
  • Customer pays Ford then Ford pays the developer.

I think a large developer could create their own site but then Ford would have to allow side loading and not direct OTA download. I think the process would be much more user friendly and reach more of an audience using the OTA download feature. I myself would probably spend some coinage on different screens. It could be the colors I want, graphics, or even different gauges. This could even allow for companies like Whipple to make a dash for the customers that buy a supercharger. Think @LethalPerformance , @tj@steeda , @Late Model Restoration , or @RTR Vehicles dash graphics. You know people would be all over this supporting the brands they use, like, trust, and love. Think of this marketing idea. Spend $500 on (your favorite aftermarket parts brand) and get a coupon code to download a free (your favorite aftermarket parts brand) dash cluster.

Disclaimer, I can see some sort of legal beagles on this trail with safety or functionality, so I think the licensing part would help that. Kind of like Apple or Android approving apps.

This is all just a pipedream, but I am sure I am not the only one thinking this. Hopefully Ford and partners are as well.
Well if Ford doesn't do it soon, I might just have to do it for them

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
10000% will never happen due to the potential liability of the speedometer going blank or something like that.
cool idea tho!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
….

….

A buck a skin and not a dollar more ….

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Speaking from the application development world and since this is a compter with wheels, I am not sure I would want someone tinkering with it. I would love to have more graphic options but not liabilty of something going wrong with thedisplay.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I'd like Ford to update them and add a few. Paying for more? Fuck no! Bad idea.
Sponsored