• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Batteries

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Just got off the phone with my son who has worked for interstellar batteries for years. Told him about the batteries. I looked at my voltage while I was driving. He said it was fine. Was telling him what people’s cars were doing. He said that is an alternator issue. He said once your battery starts the car the batteries job is done.
check the voltage when you start your car. It should stay between 13-15

he said this is problem in the newer cars
Sponsored

JOEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 C8 ,
I have seen My Battery Voltage on the car's display drop as low as 12.5 Volts briefly while driving.
I have also had display blank out as if it was doing a reboot while driving. Both happened about 2 minutes after starting the car. I have approx. 1 K miles on the car.
I will be checking the battery. Have the dealer do a load test. They do when you bring it in for service. The first oil change etc.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Normally driving I would expect 14 volts if the battery is charged. Idling it might drop down if you have a lot of stuff turned on like AC and lights. Above 14 will shorten battery life and is risky to the electrical system. If your battery is discharged, you could get lower than 14 until the battery charges. Generally you would like 13 volts or higher at all times as that indicates a fully charged battery and an alternator hat can keep up with the load. Dropping into the 12 volt range for an extended period of time should be investigated.

OP
OP
Stratman397

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen My Battery Voltage on the car's display drop as low as 12.5 Volts briefly while driving.
I have also had display blank out as if it was doing a reboot while driving. Both happened about 2 minutes after starting the car. I have approx. 1 K miles on the car.
I will be checking the battery. Have the dealer do a load test. They do when you bring it in for service. The first oil change etc.
I couldn’t hear everything he was saying as I was driving and so was he. he said something about them jumping around, unfortunately didn’t hear what he said. But this kid can tell you everything about batteries. But the main thing is that, if your car starts, it’s not the battery. He said some of the things I was telling him about cars starting and then dying are alternator problems. I know there was a lot of probably important info he told me I missed. If I need to ask him something else, will call or text him tonight when he is home. He is very soft spoken(both boys are) which makes it tough when talking to them on phones

OP
OP
Stratman397

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Normally driving I would expect 14 volts if the battery is charged. Idling it might drop down if you have a lot of stuff turned on like AC and lights. Above 14 will shorten battery life and is risky to the electrical system. If your battery is discharged, you could get lower than 14 until the battery charges. Generally you would like 13 volts or higher at all times as that indicates a fully charged battery and an alternator hat can keep up with the load. Dropping into the 12 volt range for an extended period of time should be investigated.
Actually he did give me the exact numbers it was over 13, but he also asked me if it ever went over 13, he said they will bounce around and wasn’t concerned about the the 13, so watched and it did go up to 14 a couple times
A charged car battery should measure 12.6 volts or higher. This number will increase to somewhere between 13.7 to 14.7 volts with the engine running. If a car battery drops to 11.9 volts or below, the battery is considered dead.

OP
OP
Stratman397

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He sells interstate batteries, has been doing it for years, like I said, he can tell you anything about their batteries. But if your car is running, it is because your battery is working or you wouldn’t be moving period
Sponsored