• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 mustang the problem with expectations

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Mustang1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt
when all else fails, rely on the ye ol’ personal opinion and choices. Not going to argue with your opinion or your choice.

hey I’m glad you got the car you wanted. Why in the world you made that decision if not for the convenience, you only know. So congrats. Sounds like you’re happy and that’s what matters.

I’m not. The mustang has 12 year old performance and looks 9 years old - because it is. So I, like a lot of folks, can’t justify the expense. Hence the downturn in sales. As much as I like the c8, I’m also not buying that since I have a new twin turbo z4 in the house. I’m not a fan of 2 seaters at all, but the c8 is so compelling, if I didn’t have the z, I’d have a z06. The chick wanted the bmw though. So there you go. But I’d rather have a compelling Mustang than either.

and of course there are some who don’t fit the mass market and will cross-shop apples and oranges. I’m one of those, so I don’t disagree.

but the mass market is a different beast than most of us enthusiasts. And the market has warmed up to the vette while cooling off on the mustang. Ford needs to step up and make the thing compelling in this new era.
All we're talking about is personal opinions. Yours is a personal opinion. I'm saying they share a market and backed it up. Also, the downfall of the Camaro coincides directly with the c8 looking at sales figures. GM cannibalized their two performance cars because they share a market. All the new c8 did was kill the Camaro. No new market for performance cars was created with the c8.

I decided on the mustang because I liked the way it looked better. Wasn't trying to be something it's not.

Time will tell I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
All we're talking about is personal opinions. Yours is a personal opinion. I'm saying they share a market and backed it up. Also, the downfall of the Camaro coincides directly with the c8 looking at sales figures. GM cannibalized their two performance cars because they share a market. All the new c8 did was kill the Camaro. No new market for performance cars was created with the c8.

I decided on the mustang because I liked the way it looked better. Wasn't trying to be something it's not.

Time will tell I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
incorrect. You are talking about personal preference. I’m following the topic talking about expectations and how Ford has set us up to be letdown, which in turn has cause sales to lag since launch.

I’ve given examples of how Ford could have done better by looking at another vehicle which has turned up the heat instead of playing it safe - and enjoying the fruit of that labor whereas the Mustang played it safe snd is lagging.

you given… thst you bought a mustang and like it more - and then “backed it up” with “I like it more.” LOL

so… ok.

Mustang1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt
incorrect. You are talking about personal preference. I’m following the topic talking about expectations and how Ford has set us up to be letdown, which in turn has cause sales to lag since launch.

I’ve given examples of how Ford could have done better by looking at another vehicle which has turned up the heat instead of playing it safe - and enjoying the fruit of that labor whereas the Mustang played it safe snd is lagging.

you given… thst you bought a mustang and like it more - and then “backed it up” with “I like it more.” LOL

so… ok.
I've given you sales data. All you keep saying is that Corvette sells a lot but not compared to mustang, but mustang should be like Corvette... So okay

The end

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I've given you sales data. All you keep saying is that Corvette sells a lot but not compared to mustang, but mustang should be like Corvette... So okay

The end
incorrect. The OP has provided sales data. You’ve provided your opinion.

you don’t even parrot my points honestly. Everything is disingenuous with you.

I’ve provided the facts that c8 is selling well for a car that is notoriously a hard sell. And this comes after GM went hard with it rather than play it safe.

the other fact is that the Mustang is not selling well for a traditionally healthy seller after Ford decided to do the bare minimum -including 12 year old performsnce metrics and last gen looks.

The point wasn’t that mustang should be like the corvette. The point was Ford should have applied themselves snd went for it with the mustang - like GM did with their car.

but you knew that and just like to pretend you can’t process the details for reasons God only knows.

so… alrighty then. Good luck with that.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
The only reason the Mustang sells more is because of the ecoboost

People are not cross shopping a c8 and an ecoboost Mustang …

Take away ecoboost sales and I’m guessing the C8 sells better

People acting like ford is selling 5k 65k mustangs a month lol

And as far as who uses back seats in the Mustang? Lots of people

I actually installed back seats in my R as I have 2 daughters and wanted to be able to take them both in the car …

If ford wants to sell a million ecoboost mustangs to teenage girls and rental car lots so they can call it the best selling sports car… umm ok

Mustang1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt
The only reason the Mustang sells more is because of the ecoboost

People are not cross shopping a c8 and an ecoboost Mustang …

Take away ecoboost sales and I’m guessing the C8 sells better

People acting like ford is selling 5k 65k mustangs a month lol

And as far as who uses back seats in the Mustang? Lots of people

I actually installed back seats in my R as I have 2 daughters and wanted to be able to take them both in the car …

If ford wants to sell a million ecoboost mustangs to teenage girls and rental car lots so they can call it the best selling sports car… umm ok
"If we take away half of mustangs sales, the c8 sells more" 😂 Who woulda thought 😂

Also I didn't say every person is cross shopping the c8 and mustang. I said they share a market. You know they do. Everyone knows it.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
"If we take away half of mustangs sales, the c8 sells more" 😂 Who woulda thought 😂

Also I didn't say every person is cross shopping the c8 and mustang. I said they share a market. You know they do. Everyone knows it.
“Ecoboost shares market with C8 Corvette. Because I said so.” -Mustang1987.

Ok buddy. Ok.

never saw a hole dig itself before. Fascinating.

Mustang1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt
“Ecoboost shares market with C8 Corvette. Because I said so.” -Mustang1987.

Ok buddy. Ok.
What? Lol I said everyone isn't cross shopping a c8 and mustang, but a lot do, so mustang and c8 does share a market.

I think you must have misread something somewhere.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
The best selling car of this segment where the Challenger/Charger twins that sold well for 16 years…Great looks ,torquey 392 , enough room inside , big trunk and surprisingly fun to drive as also the 6 spd Tremec option made it a hit…I predict sales of the new 2/4 door Charger will lag not because it has a practical hatchback now or has a AWD option but no more V8 or manual…The Camaro gone despite being the better handling sports car than the Corvette…Cheap plastic interior,useless trunk or backseat and no outward visibility killed it.Replaced by the C8 bought by the 65 plus AARP crowd with the means to spend between 100 & 160 soon 200K on a car thinking they bought a Ferrari for “cheap”…LOL The Corvette has become a comfortable automatic cruiser that sells to a certain crowd that would buy nothing else…I rather have a C5/6/7 because with all their flaws it least it was genuine and had a manual even if the gen 6 Camaro was the better sports car…As for the sole survivor of the affordable sports car/pony car / muscle car segment with a V8 & manual the new generation Mustang as Ford calls it is a 10 year old S550 with a few new body panels and touchscreens inside that a cheaper to produce but you can ask more for it…The DH has additional oil coolers needed for trackdays and the sturdier Tremec…More exciting would have been if Ford really had brought a new car with new chassis , lighter and a bigger more powerful V8 with more bore and lets say 5.8 liters which would have been also great in the F150 pickups for people who like V8 sound and dont want turbo charged V6 that suck just as much gas if you use the power and will require higher repair bills once past 100K miles…There is plenty of sales potential to spend some money on a new Mustang and new engine instead if going cheap because the competition is gone…

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I’ve been a forum guy for 20 years been on every major Mustang forum, Ducati “v4 owner here”, BMW ya name it because i enjoy learning and seeing what’s happening on the other side. I’ve seen a lot of post about the reception and sales of the 2024. I also work within the industry at the plant level, so I’ve personally invested in ford as a company “consultant”. I personally think the single biggest issue with the 2024s is the high price tag, it’s one of those situations where if the dark horse was 10k less MSRP i don’t think you’d see anywhere near the hate or crappy sales going on. And yes dark horse sales are NOT good my local dealer sold there’s under list “not much” just to move it. It was a loaded car but like WOW. What i find interesting is ford is going to very much act like it’s 2005 and we are all that’s left. Problem is the charger is going to have a turbo inline 6 which could potentially “all down to msrp
For dodge” really walk over the GT. This is a very very very weird time for the Mustang fans. Because while we can debate why the S650 is the best Mustang out of the gate. I think ford kinda missed the boat on what to focus on, i think pricing is the biggest issue by a mile. Also it had the 2015 s550 issue where the new car isn’t faster than the out going car, which resulted in the 2015s getting blasted off the bat bad. But once people threw mods at them it got real quiet. Unfortunately that isn’t the case with the 2024 and i could see the market crashing for them if we don’t get any sort of tuning. I don’t care if it’s a carb legal tune from FRPP or Whipple. They have to do something
As also with prices that rose to $75K plus tax & license for a car that is and should be a $45K car having paid for itself being basically a 10 year old platform with a 14 year old engine expectations rise to with having to pay more money no matter how the excuses are like inflation , crazy government regulations , making energy / gas artificially expensive or having to subsidize the E.V. Crap that so far has only costs billion$$ but really has not generated any interest or revenues and will not in the future either hence the crazy government regulations to force the customers into buying something that they dont want to buy for good reasons…

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
But somehow got outside the ford offerings?
lot course. The issue isn’t that you can buy a 2 seater ford. The issue is how ford dropped the ball by playing it too safe with the mustang. That was spotlighted with an example of someone else doing the opposite and reaping the rewards.

subject is mustang, pointing out how Ford could have avoided the downturn in sales and enthusiasm by investing in the car rather than doing as little as possible after creating a expectations it wasn’t going to live up to.
Sponsored