• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Gear indicator on A10 automatic....

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I fiddled with it a bit but it does not appear like the automatic will show what gear you are currently in. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Can anyone else confirm if you can or cannot get the gear indication on the instrument cluster. Do you have to be using the paddles to get the indication?
Sponsored

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I fiddled with it a bit but it does not appear like the automatic will show what gear you are currently in. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Can anyone else confirm if you can or cannot get the gear indication on the instrument cluster. Do you have to be using the paddles to get the indication?
ive only been able to see the gear indicator while playing with the paddles.

i do think this is one of the many things that ford will add with a furture OTA update to the car.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
ive only been able to see the gear indicator while playing with the paddles.

i do think this is one of the many things that ford will add with a furture OTA update to the car.
I hope they add it in a future update, but my 2019 never showed the gear either unless using the paddles. That’s one thing I like about the 10 speed in my F-250; it displays the gear all the time.

Edit: I should clarify my 2019 Mustang did not have the digital dash. It sounds from others' comments that the S550 digital dash does display what gear you are in, but the standard dash does not.

Last edited:

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I hope they add it in a future update, but my 2019 never showed the gear either unless using the paddles. That’s one thing I like about the 10 speed in my F-250; it displays the gear all the time.
Yeah I’m really not sure why engineers will decide on random things to change on a new model when they were perfectly functional previously and wouldn’t cause any issues in the new model.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I skimmed through the Owner manual just now. See page 177.

When in Automatic/Drive mode, "The instrument cluster displays the current position [PRNDM]."

When in Manual mode, "The instrument cluster displays the current gear."

I agree. It'd be nice to see the gears change and confirm specific gear when in Drive mode.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Sorry, quick jab.

but it is displaying which gear it’s in. It’s in ‘D’ gear. The sub steps aren’t displayed unless in manual mode.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Not an A10 but my 2015 doesn't show what gear it is in unless I'm using the paddles. Sounds like it is the same way on the 24

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I was wondering if it was a setting I didn’t find because it’s a setting on my ScatPack to either have it displayed down next to the D or not

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
My 2019 with performance package and digital dash displayed the gear when in "D". I was surprised to find it didn't display on my 2024 unless I had it in "M" and used the paddle shifter.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
I have two A10s, one 2020 GT and one 2023 Mach 1. Both cars have always displayed which gear you’re in regardless of whether the shifter is in “D”, or you’re paddle shifting or whatever. The indicator seems very accurate as you watch it shifting through the gears up or down.

My guess is that it’s a setting that is configurable somewhere deep in the black hole that is the Mustang’s preference protocols. I’d further bet that it comes enabled by default but chances are the so-called PDI tech or maybe a wash guy messed with it before you took delivery.

For me, the various menu settings and changes thereto are the most frustrating thing on the Mustang. The settings are about as predictable as a Ouija board and even less intuitive to manipulate. I’ve come to just try to get in the ballpark of what I want to change and then keep on fiddling with stuff until something happens.

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I have two A10s, one 2020 GT and one 2023 Mach 1. Both cars have always displayed which gear you’re in regardless of whether the shifter is in “D”, or you’re paddle shifting or whatever. The indicator seems very accurate as you watch it shifting through the gears up or down.

My guess is that it’s a setting that is configurable somewhere deep in the black hole that is the Mustang’s preference protocols. I’d further bet that it comes enabled by default but chances are the so-called PDI tech or maybe a wash guy messed with it before you took delivery.

For me, the various menu settings and changes thereto are the most frustrating thing on the Mustang. The settings are about as predictable as a Ouija board and even less intuitive to manipulate. I’ve come to just try to get in the ballpark of what I want to change and then keep on fiddling with stuff until something happens.
Nope, you only get the gear indicator if you have your automatic in manual mode. I tried it out today to confirm

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Nope, you only get the gear indicator if you have your automatic in manual mode. I tried it out today to confirm
When you say nope, I assume you mean on the ‘24. Mine are ‘20 and ‘23 and they operate for sure just like I said. I guess I shouldn’t assume they wouldn’t have changed it for ‘24 but maybe they did

Do you feel like you’ve exhausted every possibility in the menu selections? Any mention in the ‘24 owners’s manual? It’s really kind of a cool feature and it’s hard to see why they’d jerk it out from under the ‘24s.

Or I suppose maybe something could be amiss.

Well wait! I just re-read all the previous posts and it looks like they did change it for ‘24. I can’t get over that. I really enjoy that feature and have come to take it for granted. BTW, it’s on my ‘23 Mach 1 manual also.

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
When you say nope, I assume you mean on the ‘24. Mine are ‘20 and ‘23 and they operate for sure just like I said. I guess I shouldn’t assume they wouldn’t have changed it for ‘24 but maybe they did

Do you feel like you’ve exhausted every possibility in the menu selections? Any mention in the ‘24 owners’s manual? It’s really kind of a cool feature and it’s hard to see why they’d jerk it out from under the ‘24s.

Or I suppose maybe something could be amiss.

Well wait! I just re-read all the previous posts and it looks like they did change it for ‘24. I can’t get over that. I really enjoy that feature and have come to take it for granted. BTW, it’s on my ‘23 Mach 1 manual also.
Yes I mean the 2024. I have looked at every menu option and found nothing that is associated with vehicle, instrument cluster and display settings. just in case I walked through every menu item.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Yes I mean the 2024. I have looked at every menu option and found nothing that is associated with vehicle, instrument cluster and display settings. just in case I walked through every menu item.
Page 114 allows you to configure the instrument cluster but as I have a Tremec. I may not have all the options available. I also suspect if it is configurable, it's probably hidden elsewhere in the configuration structure.
Sponsored