• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 is out there somewhere, isn't she?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
S650, that is.

I know, I know, patience TT! @amk91 has already told us it could be much later this year before we see S550 based mules, never mind full on S650 camo'd prototypes, but that doesn't make the waiting any easier.

Mach 1 development completed a while back, so I'd assume all Team Mustang resources are focussed on S650. So, c'mon Ford, please throw us a bone! She's got to be out there, somewhere!!

S650 Mustang S650 is out there somewhere, isn't she? X files
Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Presumably, there's 13 months to go until '23 Mustangs go on sale. HTF can there be no mules this late?

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Presumably, there's 13 months to go until '23 Mustangs go on sale. HTF can there be no mules this late?
Just like the '20MY, the '21MY will run until the end of the year, with '22MY starting at the beginning of January. So, in theory, the '23MY should start in January 2023, which gives us more like 18 months until we'd expect to see S650 production begin.

2021 MY ordering ends October 1, 2021.
2022 MY Ordering opens October 11, 2021
2021 MY Production ends on December 23, 2021
2022 MY Job 1 is January 3, 2022

But we usually see a car launched to the public 6 months before it actually goes on sale (take the Mach 1 for example, the online launch, with photos and some technical details, was 6 months prior to production starting). Going on that timescale, we should normally expect to see S650 launched just 12 months from now 😲

I'm really hoping @amk91 has been able to pry some information out of his contacts!

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 10 Gear
There is a major lack of sightings this close to release. At this point they would be finalizing designs and getting molds sent out to be built.

I will stay optimistic though.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
At risk of being banned, I’m going to ask the question…..

Is it possible the S650 has gone through yet another change in direction in terms of engineering? We know it’s gone through one already when it was suppose to debut in 2020 on the CD6 architecture. Now it was suppose to be a heavily modified S550 chassis. Is it possible it has gone through yet another course change? Would explain the lack of ANYTHING, including rough chassis mules.

I keep thinking that Dodge’s announcement of a AWD electric muscle car would have no direct competitor in 2024 UNLESS…. Ford is already working on one. (And don’t for the love of god say the Mach E…..) Maybe there are two parallel efforts going on at Ford. A BEV competitor to the Dodge that Ford views as the true S650 along with a warmed over S550 with a few design updates and hybrid power train to keep it fresh (what we were thinking of as the S650 but watered down from a heavy chassis modification it might have been to just a re-skin more akin to the 2010 s197)

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Anything is possible, which is why I'm so anxious to see the S650 mules and prototypes, as that should give us an indication to what to expect.

My hope is that S650 remains a heavy reworking of S550, with all areas of the car updated and upgraded, because it will very likely be the last Mustang available with an internal combustion engine......so I hope it goes out on a high note.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
As long as we don't see actual mules anything could happen.

Dodge already announced their EV Muscle Car for 2024. But they never said it will be the only new Muscle Car they have, I would be surprised if they really wait another 3 years for a new Challenger or Charger.

Let's take a look at the Camaro 7, which is a good example how plans can change. It was originally intendend to launch on Alpha 2 platform around now. Then Chevy moved Camaro7 to launch on VSS-R to give the car a bigger upgrade. But with the switch to whole GM going electric there are enough official teasers that Chevy pulled that idea too (haven't even heard anything about the whole VSS platforms in a while) and the Camaro might relaunch as a fully electric muscle car around 2024/25

So I am sure Ford is already working on a fully electric real Mustang (not Mach-E) too, but it might not happen soon. I doubt that they will push the whole Gen 7 because of this, since they still can sell tons of cars with a new generation that still offer ICEs and Hybrids with modern tech. And we even know that Ford is talking about Mustang as a family of cars, so having a standalone Mustang EV makes sense.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I'm fine with a hybrid, but the next few years an all EV just doesn't make sense to me. Currently we have states that have to watch power and water use because of cruddy power grids and other situations, but we want to add cars to the power list?

Don't take shower, don't run your ac, don't charge your car, don't go to work. Crazy.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I'm fine with a hybrid, but the next few years an all EV just doesn't make sense to me. Currently we have states that have to watch power and water use because of cruddy power grids and other situations, but we want to add cars to the power list?

Don't take shower, don't run your ac, don't charge your car, don't go to work. Crazy.
NEVER ask that question when a forced idiology is coming along ;)
Things might have to change but it's not an open minded discussion about how to find the best solution but rather a toxic and biased sh!t-show.

I think that the S650 will be an upgraded S550 with hybrid options. However, I doubt that they can make it fully EV without switching to another platform hence losing a lot of synergy effects. Besides, I doubt that they are willing to push the project further back due to the money already spent on the project.

To be honest, I think everyone was caught a little bit by surprise by Dodge announcing electric muscle for 2024. I assume that Ford (an American EV frontrunner compared to Stellantis) has plans for an all-electric Mustang. However, if S650 is supposed to run until ~2028 we might have to wait a couple of years.

Nonetheless, I have a feeling that we will get an EV Mustang much earlier, probably in the next 4-5 years or so. I have a feeling that the EV Mustang will be built on a completely new but EV-only platform and that the EV Mustang will be sold next to the S650. I’m not sure about the S650 facelift but I hope that the S650 will run until ~2028 before EV takes over.
Love it or hate it the Mach-E is selling extremely well, has a good reputation among buyers and checks a lot of other boxes. By selling the EV Mustang next to the “old” one more and more people will get used to it. In addition, it’s quite easy to build a “regular” Mustang, a four door, a crossover/SUV and what so ever on a designated EV platform. Put on a different body, add a few details and voila you have a “new” car.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The Mach-E drivetrain in an actual fastback Mustang would be pretty dope. I'm still waiting on the batteries not to suck, and by that I mean 1:1 equivalent to the convenience of gas right now. 5 minutes from 0-100%, at every corner in America, and no reduction in range over time.

I expect/hope Dodge's swan song for the Charger is an AWD Hellcat. I'd buy that yesterday.

I also suspect there to be another gap in the Camaro nameplate.

Who knows what's happening with the Mustang though.
Good luck getting batteries to charge that fast and not deteriorate over time. My damn phone can't even do any of that and how long have they been around?

Would also buy an AWD Hellcat charger in a heartbeat!

What's a Camaro?

I like surprises...

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Solid state battery tech is the holy grail. It's been perpetually "5 years away" for a few decades now...
So it exists...just not for "us".

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Lets not derail this into a pro/cons of EVs.....................this is about S650! She's out there........I can sense it! 😁
Right around that corner that keeps on curving lol.
Sponsored